1973 Catalina 22 -- Mast Step

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 1989 Lake Hefner, OKC
I need to replace my 1973 Catalina 22 mast step. I would like to purchase a new one if they are not too expensive or a used one.
I understand that there is a Catalina Parts Store but I am extremely new to this site (10 minutes) and have not yet discovered the store. So, I am asking for help and advice.
Thank you,
Steve E. Bryant

Attachments

Oct 13, 2008
The mast step had been repaired in the past on the starboard side of the step.
(PS: It has been a long time since I've visited this site as a Hunter 30 owner.)
I've been told that there is an actual Catalina sailboat owners site visited only by Catalina owners; can you tell me how to access that site?
Thank you,
Steve

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've been told that there is an actual Catalina sailboat owners site visited only by Catalina owners; can you tell me how to access that site?
Sure. Type "catalina direct" into a search engine such as Google or what have you. Then click on the obvious search result.
You're welcome.

Oct 13, 2008
I need to replace my 1973 Catalina 22 mast step. I would like to purchase a new one if they are not too expensive or a used one.
I understand that there is a Catalina Parts Store but I am extremely new to this site (10 minutes) and have not yet discovered the store. So, I am asking for help and advice.
Thank you,
Steve E. Bryant
PLEASE NOTE THE ATTACHED PICTURES:
By way of the attached picture, you see that my mast is SET into the mast step with "tabs" on either side rather than by the use of a "bolt." You can see in the picture that my existing (broken) mast step has a type of slide locking configuration which accommodates the tabs on either side of the mast.
You can also see that my existing mast step is "broken." I don't find a mast step listed as available from Catalina Direct that will accommodate my particular mast with its side tabs.
Is is possible that my mast is not a Catalina 22 mast and then will necessarily require a mast step of unknown origin? If so, do you recognize where I might find a mast step that will fit. The two (2) bolt pattern on my existing mast step appears to be exactly like the bolt pattern on the new mast steps available from Catalina Direct. Is is possible that the only way for me to correct my problem is to order one of the new stainless mast steps and then cut it out so that I will be able to slide the mast onto it and thereby raise the mast on the "modified" stainless steel mast step?
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
which secures the my mast step to the deck looks like the same pattern as that of the "new" Catalina 22 mast steps offered on Catalina Direct.
I don't really know what to do as I don't want to purchase a new mast.
Do you have any suggestions, please?
Thank you,
Steve

Oct 13, 2008
Okay, upon a closer look at my own pictures, I see that the "tabs" on either side of the mast are actually the ends of a "stud" or bolt, if you will, that passes through the mast and protrudes out on either side of the mast. So, now the question is" "do I purchase an actual bolt or is there a 'rod/stud' sold by Catalina Direct that I can order? Thank you for your comments in advance,
Steve

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
looks like a simple fabrication done by a previous owner?? A simple piece of the correct sized stainless channel iron with a slot cut in one end.. a machine shop could make one pretty quickly.. remove the step and take it to a good machine shop .. It may be made of square tubing with the top removed and the slots machined in?? Looks to me like the pin through the mast is fine..?
https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=2238&step=4&showunits=inches&id=23&top_cat=1

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Okay, upon a closer look at my own pictures, I see that the "tabs" on either side of the mast are actually the ends of a "stud" or bolt, if you will, that passes through the mast and protrudes out on either side of the mast. So, now the question is" "do I purchase an actual bolt or is there a 'rod/stud' sold by Catalina Direct that I can order? Thank you for your comments in advance,
Steve
Mine just uses a bolt. Looks like this one from CD. http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...-step-c-22-cp-22brcp-18-wwelded-vang-loop.cfm

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Ya right, Gene.. looks like a simple (and inexpensive) retrofit to the new style if the mast bottom is the same dimension.. a new step and thru-bolt would seem to do it.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
this might help...looks like an old type from Catalina at some point...

from Chip Ford's page 9....he apparently worked around it with the newer style mast step plate(s)...
http://www.chipford.com/chip_ahoy_9.htm

(chk your deck in that area for soft, may need to address that first...)

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
That pin is just held in with cotter pins looks to me like, so if you want to go with the CD replacement and just use a bolt that would be simplest. I do like your current setup though... I've thought of modifying mine like that. Makes stepping the mast simpler.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The old style Catalina 22 mast step was changed from the tab style to the one that Gene Neill pictured here. You can buy either from Catalina Direct 800-544-6681 or Catalina Yachts 727-544-6681 ( ask for Skip but not sure if he handles retail parts anymore).
If the old style or tab style is broken, go for the new one. Do not be a cheapskate as some are and get the new one as it is more safe. I use to be a Catalina dealer for many years now retired who use to also display the small Catalina sailboats for many years.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Thank you,
Steve E. Bryant
Not an attempt to be negative Nancy-- but my first response would be spend more than 10 minutes on this site-- it is a wealth of detailed information from a broad range of pros, home craftsmen and first timers-- all with something to provide a C22 owner. Getting a quick asked and answered question is nice, but you will have missed the goldmine sitting behind the scenes.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As mentioned above. he is correct that there are a lot of folks here that will try to help you with experience and knowledge. There is no dumb question because as a dealer I beat everyone to the punch on that one. I was a former dealer for Catalina and Hunter primarily so I will speak from that direction but also on safety as I use to be an insurance investigator at one time as well. One area is the boat information section by clicking on it, picking Catalina and then the different points appear. See the comments, photos, downloads and so on. Welcome to the site. Crazy Dave Condon

Even made my own peach brandy (moonshine) and even Frank Butler had a taste of it.