120v Rebuild - questions/opinions/advice

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
Heya all

Looking at starting to rebuild the 120 v side of my pearson and have the following simple sketch:

Capture.JPG

So i'm looking at having to replace everything up to the wiring to the lights and the outlets.

Before, well.. it was ugly... lemme see if i can find a picture... or two.

upload_2018-4-24_14-33-57.png

upload_2018-4-24_14-34-32.png

upload_2018-4-24_14-34-53.png

so yeah... lets go ahead and set the AC bar at "lulnope" and start over :D

In order to do so i'm going to purchase a new shore power connector... something like:
https://greatlakesskipper.com/marin...MI4OLkvcLT2gIVFBuBCh3bjAyPEAQYAyABEgKajfD_BwE

followed by a ship/shore power selector
http://www.boatersland.com/newssswi...MIotGzi8LT2gIVhZ6fCh1GPQYKEAQYAyABEgKzlPD_BwE

because i have a camping generator laying around:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsma...=online&wl12=46542330&wl13=&veh=sem#read-more

(which has a 12v circuit to charge batteries built in :) )
and this master breaker:
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/blue...breaker-panels--P009_273_003_534?recordNum=18

The distance from the shore power connector to the switch is less than 4 feet, and switch will be mounted directly next to the breaker. The generator will be hiding near the batteries on the same side as well. The outboard uses gasoline as does the generator so that works out well.

I want to put a trickle charger system on the batteries as well as hooking up the outboard charger to them and the generator 12v circuit. the lights, of which there are 5, will all be LED bulbs pulling 9w ea, and then there's two outlets in the boat for 120v ciruicts. the nav area and in the head. Some of the lights have two prong power outlets built into them.

So... does it look like i got a good grasp on the bits and parts? not missing a major component am i?

I'm kinda planning on putting that battery selector back in until i invest in a nicer one. maybe.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Please purchase a book such as Charlie Wings excellent Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook - Second Edition

Also please follow the ABYC standards for AC vessel wiring. Your 120V system, as drawn, is not in-line with current safety standards.

This would be a bare minimum diagram for a 120V electrical system.

As for the generator any transfer switch goes after the main AC breaker but before the AC switch panel with the branch breakers. These transfer switches are intend for "permanently installed" AC generators where Earth grounding-bonds are made only when the generator is operational. A portable generator is NOT a permanently installed unit and the easiest solution and safest is to simply not use one. If you insist on using a portable generator it should be plugged into the shore power inlet when operational. Be aware that many of these portable generators are floating ground and do not comply with basic marine safety standards anyway.Also forget any meaninful charging off the DC port of a portable generator. These are usually totally unregulated and can only deliver extremely low amperage. Using a generator to charge DC batteries means using the 120V side to power a real 120V battery charger.

There is a lot to know about safely wiring a boats AC system and the results, if done incorrectly, can kill... If you want a real eye opener as to how dangerous, just google "Electric Shock Drowning" which is a major safety hazard, especially in fresh water..

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As Maine Sail noted, poor AC wiring is dangerous. The photos you posted certainly indicate an update is warranted. Here's a link to Charlie Wing's Book.

The portable camp generator also poses its own issues. Did you plan to permanently mount it? If so how will you handle the fuel supply and exhaust? Where can you mount it without losing too much valuable space?

Do you really need AC power? What are your DC loads? How large a battery bank do you have and need? Do you have refrigeration? On a 26 ft boat, power needs are probably pretty low. By comparison, I can go 3-4 days on my bank of 4 GCs without recharging, and that's with a full suite of electronics and a power hungry refrigeration unit.

The simplest solution is to wire the AC to ABYC standards (See Charlie Wing's book) and just plug in the generator when needed. Don't waste your money on an old style 30 Amp connector, get a Smart Plug. To be convinced take a look at this article: https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-cords-smartplug-vs-1938/

Your goal of restoring this boat are admirable, remember boats can be a sink hole for your money. Figure out what you need to get sailing, that's why you're doing all this work isn't, to go sailing? :biggrin:

Apr 25, 2017
pearson 26 holland mi
As Maine Sail noted, poor AC wiring is dangerous. The photos you posted certainly indicate an update is warranted. Here's a link to Charlie Wing's Book.

The portable camp generator also poses its own issues. Did you plan to permanently mount it? If so how will you handle the fuel supply and exhaust? Where can you mount it without losing too much valuable space?

Do you really need AC power? What are your DC loads? How large a battery bank do you have and need? Do you have refrigeration? On a 26 ft boat, power needs are probably pretty low. By comparison, I can go 3-4 days on my bank of 4 GCs without recharging, and that's with a full suite of electronics and a power hungry refrigeration unit.

The simplest solution is to wire the AC to ABYC standards (See Charlie Wing's book) and just plug in the generator when needed. Don't waste your money on an old style 30 Amp connector, get a Smart Plug. To be convinced take a look at this article: https://marinehowto.com/shore-power-cords-smartplug-vs-1938/

Your goal of restoring this boat are admirable, remember boats can be a sink hole for your money. Figure out what you need to get sailing, that's why you're doing all this work isn't, to go sailing? :biggrin:
Oh it very much is. But I have until June when the trailer is here so I'm full tilt getting things ordered and figured out. After the boat is an hour away at the marina.

It looks like the notion of the Genny is not ideal here so I'll just eliminate it from the plan... And save a few bucks.

The goal is two fold. 1. Sail. 2. Get extremely familair with boating systems and buy a blue water vessel in ten years and be as self sufficient as possible.

The bucket list item is to sail around the world twice. The loose plan needs basically two around to touch the coast line of every country.

I'll buy his book. I've bought a bunch of don caseys already so it's got plenty of space on the shelf. :p

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Oh it very much is. But I have until June when the trailer is here so I'm full tilt getting things ordered and figured out. After the boat is an hour away at the marina.

It looks like the notion of the Genny is not ideal here so I'll just eliminate it from the plan... And save a few bucks.

The goal is two fold. 1. Sail. 2. Get extremely familair with boating systems and buy a blue water vessel in ten years and be as self sufficient as possible.

The bucket list item is to sail around the world twice. The loose plan needs basically two around to touch the coast line of every country.

I'll buy his book. I've bought a bunch of don caseys already so it's got plenty of space on the shelf. :p
To build your library get Nigel Calder's books, especially Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual 4/E and Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair

Two sites worth spending a lot of time on are Maine Sail's MarineHowTo.com and Steve D'Antonio's site.

Also, subscribe to Pratical Sailor and Good Old Boat magazines. The information in these 2 magazines will be more relevant than in other more well known mags.