12 Volt outlets on Catalina 309

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Washington, NY
New to this forum and new to my 309, just took delivery on 2009 hull 172. So far only found one 12 volt outlet in salon area. Have to believe they put more than one inside the boat. Anyone have information where other outlets might be hiding?? Still taking time to learn the in's and out's of the boat setup.

Much appreciated.

Hoping to pick your brains for more info as I learn the boat.

Peter

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
New to this forum and new to my 309, just took delivery on 2009 hull 172. So far only found one 12 volt outlet in salon area. Have to believe they put more than one inside the boat. Anyone have information where other outlets might be hiding?? Still taking time to learn the in's and out's of the boat setup.

Much appreciated.

Hoping to pick your brains for more info as I learn the boat.

Peter
Just one... You're lucky to get 1 most boat builders don't install any....

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I agree with Maine Sail, our Catalina 310 2001 didn't have any factory 12-volt outlets.

I would also add to check how that one is wired. It was likely installed by the previous owner and who knows how he did it. I had one from the previous owner and he installed it using the crappy scotch lock quick splice plastic connectors (see picture). Replacing that was one of the first things I did.

Attachments

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Peter, You are lucky to have that one 12V outlet. I have a C309 #20 and I don't have any. It came with just 2 - 110V outlets in the salon.

Jul 22, 2015
thanks for the replies. Coming from big power boats we had 12V and 110V outlets all over.
The one 12V on my sailboat seems to be a professional job, maybe dealer installed for 1st owner. Definitely need a few more, one in each cabin for fans. Should be able to install myself, running into fuse panel.

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
Peter - welcome! Glad to see another newbie to 309 (us too). Mine only has the one outlet in the salon (to the left of the nav station).

Just curious, what other items are you needing to plug in? Jus' saying (with tongue somewhat in cheek) - sailing is about turning off all those devices...! :)

David

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I agree with Maine Sail, our Catalina 310 2001 didn't have any factory 12-volt outlets.

I would also add to check how that one is wired. It was likely installed by the previous owner and who knows how he did it. I had one from the previous owner and he installed it using the crappy scotch lock quick splice plastic connectors (see picture). Replacing that was one of the first things I did.
I'd like one in the Salon, but even more, would like one on the pedestal!!! There are no 12 VDC outlets in the boat. 2005 Catalina 310, no 307

Jul 22, 2015
Absolutely agree about unplugging especially while under sail. However I'm hoping I can get my wife to do some cruising again. We come from power boats( please don't hold this against me). Our last boat was larger with all the creature comforts, gene,a/c vacuum flush. I'm thinking if can at least have a few 12v fans in various locations, she might feel more comfortable.
Agree one 12v receptacle in pedestal would come in very handy. Another winter project!

slaume

Feb 21, 2014
Cape Dory 30 C Noank
I have a bank of three 12 V outlets right above my ice box / chart table. These are run to a dedicated breaker that is independent of the main battery selector switch. This allows me to keep a small solar panel plugged in with everything else turned off. The reason for three is that I can keep the panel going, along with a small hand held GPS and still plug in a cell phone or hand held VHF for charging. I also have a 12 V vac with a long cord. For fans, I use a couple of little self contained battery jobbies. They are rarely used but can be set up anywhere without a cord and they are cheaper than any plug in models I was able to find. By keeping all the outlets together, I was able to run one large wire, on a short run, to power them. One more thing to note is that there is a huge difference in the quality of these sockets. The Blue Sea ones are much better than some of the cheaper ones and there really isn't that much of a price difference, Steve.

Jul 22, 2015
I have a bank of three 12 V outlets right above my ice box / chart table. These are run to a dedicated breaker that is independent of the main battery selector switch. This allows me to keep a small solar panel plugged in with everything else turned off. The reason for three is that I can keep the panel going, along with a small hand held GPS and still plug in a cell phone or hand held VHF for charging. I also have a 12 V vac with a long cord. For fans, I use a couple of little self contained battery jobbies. They are rarely used but can be set up anywhere without a cord and they are cheaper than any plug in models I was able to find. By keeping all the outlets together, I was able to run one large wire, on a short run, to power them. One more thing to note is that there is a huge difference in the quality of these sockets. The Blue Sea ones are much better than some of the cheaper ones and there really isn't that much of a price difference, Steve.
Thanks Steve for this useful update. Very interesting. I like your idea as well. Can you either clarify or include a photo of yoru three 12 V outlets as on my boat the chart table is to starboard and the ice box is on port side in galley area.
I'm also thinking of including a solar panel at some point to help with charging while away and understand this needs to be independent of the battery switch.

Peter