House Battery Replacement or Upgrade Time?

Jun 12, 2019
Hunter 410 Jamestown RI
Hi All,
I have a 2001 Hunter 410 new to me this summer and I have a bad house battery. My first thought was to replace with the same battery from Interstate or one from West Marine but I would like to check in with the group if this is a good time to make a change or some type of improvement. I have a stock 401 layout with no AC or Genset besides a small 2000watt unit from Harbor Freight. My long term (this Winter) goal is to install AC that could run from house battery ideally or the 2000Watt Generator for AC only and house battery for everything else, then recharge from Solar and whenever I run the engine. I was planning on upgrading my Solar first then install the Salon/Pullman AC unit and then the Aft Cabin AC unit. I haven’t done my homework yet on the amount of battery needed and the Solar capacity I would need to plan on so any insight or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
IMG_8280.jpg

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Highly recommend switching to a 6v system. Much easier to deal with weightwise and more Amp Hrs. We switch to 6 Trojan T105's a few years ago and have been very happy! Additionally we carry 2 280w solar panels and they pretty much take care of the power needs. We do not have a generator but carry 2 Honda EU2000i's if we want to run the AC Unit.

Jun 12, 2019
Hunter 410 Jamestown RI
That sounds good, how do you wire the T105's, could you send a photo so I could see what type of jumpers I would need to make?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
TH here you go. Hope this helps. The first is the original battery. the second is 2 sets of two where the originals went. There is another set of two under the sole plate (last pic). Making a total of 6 batteries in the full bank. The third is a wiring diagram of how I wired it with wire sizes. Ignore the total Ah reading that is not correct.

Attachments

Jun 12, 2019
Hunter 410 Jamestown RI
Thanks, I think this is what I'm going to do. I hope it doesn't matter that the other house bank will still be the larger 4D battery.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I got rid of my 4D's because they were such a pain to deal with. Back killers. I also had one "run away" on us so I just decided they had to go. You will get more aHrs out of the 6v batteries! Good luck!

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I manage to squeeze 4 trojan lp 16 , 6 volts for 800 amp, my 41 will take to low battery after 20 hours of sailing. I usually start my gen 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the evening and they are almost full again. There is a post in this forum with photos. I could not fit as Nodak7 did because a have there the water pump for the water maker and the engine battery

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I manage to squeeze 4 trojan lp 16 , 6 volts for 800 amp, my 41 will take to low battery after 20 hours of sailing. I usually start my gen 1 hour in the morning and 1 in the evening and they are almost full again. There is a post in this forum with photos. I could not fit as Nodak7 did because a have there the water pump for the water maker and the engine battery
VA that is about what we had to do before we had the solar. Now we do not need to charge unless we go wild using power.

Jun 12, 2019
Hunter 410 Jamestown RI
I just installed these baby’s, 230amp hours a piece. It’s the second bank, the other house bank is the large 4D. Question, does anyone know if your supposed to reconfigure the xantrex inverter/charger for the new capacity? Not sure if it’s configured to each battery bank capacity/battery type.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I just installed these baby’s, 230amp hours a piece. It’s the second bank, the other house bank is the large 4D. Question, does anyone know if your supposed to reconfigure the xantrex inverter/charger for the new capacity? Not sure if it’s configured to each battery bank capacity/battery type.
To be clear - how does connecting two 230 A/H 6 V batteries in series change the total capacity?

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Nodak7 How do you handle maintenance on the LA batteries? How often? Any concerns about gassing? Why did builders use AGM in the 1st place? Did you reconfigure your charger?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Dakno, about once a month I check levels in the cells and top off with distilled water. With the Solar Panels they are in charge mode quite a bit. No changes made on the charger. Works good! Not certain regarding the AGM's other than the AGM's are low/no maintenance.