Hunter 29.5 Major Aft Leak on Starboard Tack

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
I just got a 29.5 and we found that on a starboard tack we have quite a descent flow of water running from the aft near the blackwater tank flowing forward to the head. Any ideas on where it might be coming from? I can't say for sure if it's river water or black water. I'm going to try some food coloring in the blackwater.

May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
Found the issue. Black water tank has a leak at the lower elbow. Any suggestions on getting this aluminum tank welded vs replacing with a plastic tank?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Replace it! 'cuz the first leak in any metal waste tank is always only the FIRST leak. Urine is so corrosive that it turns metal tanks--even 316 stainless--into colanders.
Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) Ronco Plastics marine Tanks is your best source for a tank. They make TOP quality thick-walled water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.

And as long as you're replacing the tank, this would be the time to upgrade the tank vent to 1" and maybe even find a better location for it if it's much further than 5-6' from the toilet. I'll be glad to help you figure out the best way to do it...and you'll also find a whole bunch of good info in my book (see link in my signature). The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to install, operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.
--Peggie

Last edited:
May 7, 2019
Hunter 29.5 Lake City MN
Thank you for the suggestion. I will order one from them. Looks like I will have to downsize slightly to get one that will fit. I can't get it any closer to the toilet, but it's within 6 ft.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thank you for the suggestion. I will order one from them. Looks like I will have to downsize slightly to get one that will fit. I can't get it any closer to the toilet, but it's within 6 ft.
As you try to find one the same size that'll fit, keep in mind that you can rotate the drawings any direction...90 degrees in either direction, or even 180...flip end for end. 'Cuz there is no top or bottom till the fittings go in, and you decide where to put 'em.
And speaking of the fittings...boat builders tend use "standard" fittings locations--all of 'em on one end, which reduces useable capacity and almost always aligned to make sure waste can overflow out the vent or run back toward the toilet when you're heeled. If you'd like some one-on-one help to spec 'em where they should go, and the reason why you want the vent to be 1", I'll be happy to provide it...just send me a PM when you're ready.
--Peggie