Careening to bottom paint.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Anyone ever try careening their boat to paint the bottom? I have a pond big enough to launch my 23.5 and plenty of near by trees to tie off the mast and pull her over. Then just pull her too edge of the pond and try not to drip any paint into the water. Crazy idea?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Seems like a clever way to paint the places where the trailer bunks meet the hull, but I'd do the rest on shore

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pulling it back to deeper water might remove a lot of new paint.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
I don't have to actually run her aground. Just have to get her close enough to shore to make it convenient to reach with a paint roller. I hope the paint can stand up to a little dragging either way since it's a trailer boat.. The paint I bought claims to be able to withstand trailering so I'm hopeful but we'll see.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
People have done it ... I’d love to see pics if you go for it.
You might be able to use your halyard tied off to shore. Then pull the mast down level and paint from a canoe or dinghy

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Agree with Stu about sideways. One other concern is the centerboard possibly being damaged too also possibly the centerboard housing. Paints vary to amount of time required to dry as well.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I just tip mine on the trailer
Load it leaning to port paint what I can let it dry then float it lean it to starboard paint what is left over and all done

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rick; you are experienced. To novices might be dicy as I fear the wing portion of the keel cold be damaged. Remember the weight of the boat should be supported by the keel tray

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Rick; you are experienced. To novices might be dicy as I fear the wing portion of the keel cold be damaged. Remember the weight of the boat should be supported by the keel tray
I thought he said it was a 23.5

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
That's sort of way they used to do it on the old sailing ships. Run her around at almost high tide and do the bottom as the tide falls. Then do the other side on the next cycle. Just have to be careful that the next high is at least as high as the one you careened on.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That's sort of way they used to do it on the old sailing ships. Run her around at almost high tide and do the bottom as the tide falls. Then do the other side on the next cycle. Just have to be careful that the next high is at least as high as the one you careened on.
That would mean doing it on the ascending high tides near new or full moon; near the time b/f the highest tides. If located where there are semi-diurnal mixed tides, that is a high high and a low high each day. (Also, a high low, and a low low.) The low high should not inundate where you careened on the high high, so you'd have until the next higher high (24 h 50 min.)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We used to pull the 26c over that way to clean the bottom. It never got the boat over as far as we wanted, and wasn't really worth the effort. So much easier to load it on the trailer such that the work can get done.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ok guys, I goofed on 23 vs. 23.5... You know me being CRAZY. Thanks for advising.

One good question, which paint is being applied

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
And kedge out to make sure the boat falls "uphill".

In this photo, notice the two lines going ashore. They were to prevent the boat from leaning the other way. If it had, then as the water came back in, the cabin would flood.