Rescued 1978 Hunter 25' Sailboat- Seeking Advice on Restoring and Creative Uses

Aug 14, 2018
Hunter 25 Cape Cod
Hello! We rescued this 40 year old beauty from the wrecking ball and hope to bring her back to life for our children and friends to enjoy in our backyard as a "Boathouse Bunkie". We would love advice on how to repurpose boat/best utilize space and refinish the exterior and interior from head to toe. Cleaning, refinishing wood, brass fixtures, outside rails, deck etc. She's in great shape but needs TLC and we want to do it right and be creative. We are complete beginners but are excited to shine her up and share this gorgeous vessel, albeit on land, with all. All ideas welcome and TIA!

Attachments

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I commend your spirit of adventure and your idea for a play area for your kids.
But, let me suggest you use the "quick search" feature at the top of this page.
Put in a specific topic like 'refinishing teak handrails' or 'painting the hull'.
You will only get a few dozen or so threads to read on each subject.

Aug 14, 2018
Hunter 25 Cape Cod
Thanks very much ggrizzard! I am new to this forum as well so your advice is very helpful! Also looking for creative/efficient ways to use the space...for instance, we don't need the toilet so may turn into closet. Our kids are in their late teens so will be used as hanging out/sleeping quarters primarily for them and our friends.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Specific to your plan:
Unbolt (or cut off) the keel, and remove the rudder.
Dig a trench so the boat sits ground level on her waterline.
If you have any of the mast, rig a 8-10 foot section and attach the shrouds. It will look much more like a sailboat that way.

Everything else is old-boat restoration and has been discussed a million times here. Search is your friend.

Nov 8, 2010
TOur kids are in their late teens so will be used as hanging out/sleeping quarters primarily for them and our friends.
Hmm. When he entered his late teens, my son suddenly developed a keen interest in the interior aspects of my boat. And his thinking was not nautically inclined.

Aug 14, 2018
Hunter 25 Cape Cod
Thanks Jack...10-4 on the thinking of a teenage son...will certainly keep a close eye on that :D Arranging to have keel and rudder removed and digging that trench over the next week or so. Hoping to scrap the keel (assuming it's lead?) and we were going to remove the mast to make it easier to get below. But I am intrigued by your recommendation. We have all the rigging and sails. In terms of what you suggested, love the idea of making it look like a sailboat as we want to preserve that as much as possible. Again, I know NOTHING about boats - assuming the shrouds can only go up on a non windy day or else it could be quite dangerous?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Shrouds are the wires that hold the mast up, there should be 2 on each side (Port and Starboard) and one to the front (Bow) and on to the back (Stern). If you mean sails, raising them fixed to the ground would probably be a very bad idea unless 0 wind. You could cut C shaped in them to let the wind blow through them, but I'd still make sure wind was very low.

If it were my backyard fort / club house I'd use exterior grade latex house paint, way cheaper then boat paint and will work just fine for out side. Exposed wood could be varnished or left natural gray and cleaned to keep nice looking.

Aug 14, 2018
Hunter 25 Cape Cod
Thanks so very much John! Sincerely appreciate the definitions. Would love ways to use the sails as they are so awesome to look at. Thinking of making a cover of some sort so the back could be sheltered from sun and used as a deck. Perhaps the sails could be repurposed that way or we could have a canvas top made. We also need to figure out how best to cover the boat in the winter as well.

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks Jack...10-4 on the thinking of a teenage son...will certainly keep a close eye on that :D Arranging to have keel and rudder removed and digging that trench over the next week or so. Hoping to scrap the keel (assuming it's lead?) and we were going to remove the mast to make it easier to get below. But I am intrigued by your recommendation. We have all the rigging and sails. In terms of what you suggested, love the idea of making it look like a sailboat as we want to preserve that as much as possible. Again, I know NOTHING about boats - assuming the shrouds can only go up on a non windy day or else it could be quite dangerous?
Something more like this. Sailboats look silly without a mast. Even a small one!

Bathô-1100x733.jpg

Oh BTW, I was looking for it and I found it. There is a french company that is turning old boats in into tiny vacation home for rent. Maybe more ideas there.

https://www.batho.fr/

Aug 14, 2018
Hunter 25 Cape Cod
Yes, we have that covered. Really wish I did not get so sea sick. She's a beauty and would love to check her out in Cape Cod Bay, but she'll certainly be enjoyed here on land. Thanks for your help.