Fusing & Termination Voltage Drop

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I've been reading through Maine Sail's articles on his Marine How To site for a while.
I read the article on battery fuse sizing a couple of times and that along with Maine's posts about it finally drove home the idea about choosing the fuse size for wire size, not device. (there are a few exceptions noted in Maine's fuse size article.)

Then this past weekend I came upon this article.
https://marinehowto.com/fusing-termination-voltage-drop/

I had somehow missed it so I'm posting this in case others have not seen it.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
You're title reminds me of my old 23' had the old round glass fuses and no matter what I spray on them they get corroded and I'd loose voltage. I'd spin in holder to get what ever it was on when I needed like the marine radio

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Yeah, those glass fuses in in-line holders were a PIA.
Which makes me think, are the ATO/ATC blade fuses have tin plated blades. I wonder if they are more corrosion resistant than the old glass fuse ends? thought I think it was the cheap springs which rusted easily.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I agree the glass fuses probably depend more on the holder design than the ATO/ATC holders. Adoption of the blade style is almost universal so can’t be too bad. I’ve never had to rotate a blade fuse which can’t be said for the glass fuses or crappy VW style fuses.

Mahalo