Topside Paint on a Budget

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
A few years back I painted my boat with Wet Edge Topside paint from Jamestown Distributors.

This paint was far better to apply than a paint like Interlux as it ran far less and could be put on with just a roller (no tipping) However, after a couple of seasons I found the paint severely dulls and shines no longer. I did paint my boot stripe with Rustoleum marine paint and was pleasantly surprised that it held up better than the more expensive Wet Edge paint. From the reviews I've seen on the net, it seems everyone is happy with it, is it possible that this inexpensive paint could be a bargain? Well, Rustoleum is a great name and at one time was in the forefront of the industry. Has anyone used Rustoleum marine paint on their topsides? If so, what's your opinion of it's durability? Wisdom appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The two products are quite different. The Rustoleum paint is a oil based paint, while Wet Edge is a single part polyurethane paint. I'm a little surprised that the Wet Edge didn't hold up as well as the Rustoleum. The polyurethanes are pretty tough paints, although the 2 part paints are tougher. How did you maintain the paint? Some of the polyurethanes, like Awlgrip, are sensitive to the type of cleaning product used and should not be waxed.

Dec 11, 2015
Hunter 25 Plymouth
You may have solved the issue. I did wax the Wet Edge before the second season of using it! I had no idea that would cause dulling, I was trying to provide it extra protection. What do you think of oil based paints?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You may have solved the issue. I did wax the Wet Edge before the second season of using it! I had no idea that would cause dulling, I was trying to provide it extra protection. What do you think of oil based paints?
Most, if not all waxes, have an abrasive in them. This removes oxidation that forms on gelcoat and provides the shine. On paint, this usually dulls the paint.

If you like to paint, then the oil based paints are fine. :) The polyurethane paints should last longer than the oil based paints and have a better shine. Since you have a base coat of single part polyurethane, much of the prep has already been done. BTW, two-part polyurethanes (like interlude Perfection) can not be placed on top of single part polyurethanes.

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
I use the Rustoleum Top Side paint with a harder called Majic Catalyst Harder. It cuts the dry time and makes it harder so it will last longer. Check it out!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i am a stickler for performance on my vessels. i just enjoy the feel of the helm when the boat is sailing well. racers, i'm not one, that continually do well are the ones that look for that one tenth of on percent increase in speed.

i will never use anything on my boats. wax makes wetted surfaces slow. i think of the entire hull as wetted surfaces. for me wax is just like silicone. has no place on a sailboat. note: my boat is a 'varnish farm', i don't want those products within 500 ft of my varnish.

just food for thought :)