356/36 Bedding

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
what have you done for your rear berth bedding and looking for ways to make my wife’s life easy when it comes to making our bed.
It drives her crazy crawling into make our bed with bottom sheet and top sheet and light or heavy blanket.
Help me out making it easy for her and happy wife happy life for sure.
Comfort doen’t seem to be a problem and we have a separate topper foam pad one piece so thinking of buying new thick bedding foam and cutting into 2 pieces and getting separate fitted sheets?????
Nick

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Do you have a picture of the bunk and area your wife has to work in?
Dividing the bunk into two lookes like it will make it easier to reach? Without seeing the setup, my initial response is that just means fitting 8 corners instead of 4. But, maybe it would make it easier, have to see it.
- Will (Dragonfly)

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We had a custom mattress made for out aft berth Pearson 36-3. Extremely comfortable but a bear for my wife to make/ change sheets. To make it easier..... well two things. 1- I was real nice to her after she would do it but that only went so far
2- bought a bigger boat with an easier bed to make..... seems to have done the trick!
Good luck

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Nick: We have similar setup with foam topper and she makes me set it up each time she changes the linens because you have to almost be a gymnast! We use fitted bottom queen sheet that goes around the foam and the topper on all four corners. That is the easiest part. I use the handle end of a boat hook pole to push the sheets around to get them centered and in position. I then tuck in the bottom against the bulkhead in the center (using ice scraper) and work my way to the edges and then up each side. I then put the next queen sheet over the bottom one and get it centered with the pole and then go to the rear and use a plastic windshield ice scraper to push the sheet down between the mattress/topper and rear bulkhead - start in center and move to each side. Then side bulkhead and stern rail and go about halfway up both sides. I then put the blanket on, do the same thing and repeat the process for the comforter. Key is using the wrong end of the boat hook pole to get each piece centered up and use the ice scraper rather than my fingers to stuff the excess material between the mattress and the surrounding wood. This keeps all the linens in place.
After sleeping, my wife takes care of daily making up by smoothing out the sheets/blanket by hand and also the comforter. If you have it tucked in good on the edges, it is not hard to maintain daily because it won’t go anywhere when wedged in. Use the ice scaper to wedge it in -you will kill your fingers doing it. You can do it without damaging the wood.

Last edited:

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
I feel your wife's pain Nick! My wife refuses to make up the bed for the aft bunk because it is so hard to wrestle the mattress and tuck the sheets in at the foot. It has been my job for years. I am 6'-4", have chronic lower back pain and there in no head room and no leverage to pull up the foot of the mattress. It is a standard queen size mattress, so you can use a fitted bottom sheet, that helps. Bend the corners back one at a time and stuff it in. I am taking NYSail's advice and am buying a bigger boat. After many lengthy discussions directly with David Marlow over the past year, our new MH40 is under construction in Alachua, FL. We are coming down in January to do an inspection. It will be delivered to Annapolis in May. Same size aft bunk, but centerline with access along both sides. Hopefully a lot easier to make up.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Nick,
We also have a foam topper but the biggest improvement was to add the Froli spring system under the mattress. That not only gives us a much more comfortable berth with a lot more "give" but also add 1 5/8" of air space under the mattress which prevents condensation. There is an additional bonus - the space makes it much easier to wrap the sheets and bedding around the mattress and tuck it in underneath

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
@chuckwayne , did you break apart the Froli system to allow access to the many panels underneath,such as the transmission? Did you just make one big Froli sheet al connected?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
just one sheet - it's easy to lift up the whole thing or just unclip the section you need to get under--I've got 2 drivetrain panels, fuel tank/filters, water heater, and 5 storage areas underneath

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The following is what we do in the V-berth but could also be done in a rear berth...

Our mattress and now the topper also are cut into 3 sections. This allows you to stand at the head (or foot) of the berth and take out two sections.

Then put the sheets and blankets on one section and slide it in. Put the next section of the mattress in and pull the covers over it and slide it and the first section further in. Finish with the last section. No more climbing up in the berth and making the bed. The three sections are cut in a way that you never feel the junctions of the three pieces. We have both boats set up like this.

We also have made the sheets in a way that the top sheet has a foot on it that slides onto the first mattress section and ...

... then the bottom sheet goes on and the top sheet folds back over the bottom sheet. This locks the foot of the top sheet in (trapped under the bottom sheet) so that it doesn't pull out while sleeping.

All of this and the cushion covers are all explained here near the bottom of the menu...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/canvas-index.html

Breaking the mattress up into sections also makes it easier to get to the compartment under the berth,
Sumner
===============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Check out the hypervent for ventilation under your mattress. Great product

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Thank to all for sure and not getting bigger boat and wish we had a roomer bed but we love our oat and will try making our topper into two pieces and think fitted sheets for the two piece topper will be a start to make things easier.
Happy Thanksgiving
Nick

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I don't understand what is so difficult. My PDQ had two like that.

To fit the fitted sheet, go in with just one edge, fit the two corners, ad keep moving backwards. Like any bunk bead.

For the top sheet, sew a pocket in the foot only (important!!), about 18 inches deep but loose fitting (enough room for the feet). Again, go in with just the foot, scoop it under the mattress, and work your way backwards. The edges don't actually matter much if the pocket is in place.

Easy. Wrinkle-free is tricky... but who cares, so long as it stays in place at night.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Very low ceiling and need to crawl in on your belly,love our H-36 but the down side is the rear bed and wife sleeps on outside close to opening and mostly she needs get get out for me to get out and some times I have fun climbing on top of her to crawl out of bed.
Nick

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
small pulleys in the corners with clips? Do everything outside the bunk then pull. :dancing:
- Will ("Rube Goldburg", Dragonfly)

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
We find we can dispense with sheets/bedding for the cruising season. We have two sleeping bags that zip together. Get up in the morn and smooth them out. Bed is made..

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My wife suggested we try the 2 sleeping bags a while ago but
I am not crazy about that because I am a very restless sleeper and I move around a lot and here in Florida I very rarely need much clothes or covers but my wife needs both.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
small pulleys in the corners with clips? Do everything outside the bunk then pull. :dancing:
- Will ("Rube Goldburg", Dragonfly)
I like this idea .... We’re sailors that can launch 300 square ft sails, single-handed from 30 ft away with a single-line, in the rain. Yet we’re completely “at sea” when it comes to a 36 sq ft cloth between two decks? All we have to do is deploy something smaller than a Optimist’s main, in dry conditions, with no wind, and no time pressures — and we don’t even have to trim it once it’s out!