Prospective H356 purchase

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Had a H356 surveyed yesterday and the topic of the ball valve recall came up. The boat has "Marine Hardware" brand valves, but they have green handles unlike the blue one in the picture provided in the recall pamphlet. What did people generally receive as replacements?

Edit: Received confirmation from Marine Hardware that green handles do indeed indicate they were replaced.

Let me know if there are any other particulars of this model I should look out for. I did look for deflection under the shower when we hauled the boat and didn't see anything. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Great boat. Bought ours new in 2003 and have spent 1066 days on ours in 15 seasons, including a 6 month cruise from Ky Lake to SW Florida and return.. The weak spot under the shower pan is an area some have had. Also, the windlass leaks through the windlass, so remove the wood ceiling panel at the front of the vberth (just several wood screws to undo) and have a look. I have had the windlass leak, but not the dimple under the shower.
I know of one later model 36 that had some water leaks around the mast that got into the balsa core on the deck. He had a pretty good repair. I have not heard of,that problem on any other 356 or 36, so was probably particular to his boat only. They found it as he was having it surveyed for a potential sale. I think he spent $7000 repairing it.

You will probably see hairline cracks around the chainplates and some other areas of the deck gelcoat. They are stress cracks that can be easily patched. They are cosmetic. We like the kitchen of the 356 because of the top loading refrigerator and freezer and the location of the garbage cutout in the corian counter. Later models have dorm style refrigerators and very limited freezer space.

Also check the keel at the front for the “Hunter smile”. A lot of us have that but just make sure the keel bolts are tight and caulk the joint with 5200. I hit mine by running aground a few times on mud and sand. No real damage, again cosmetic.

I’m very biased, but thinkmthe 2003 356 is one of Hunter’s best models.

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Thanks for the info. Are you guys still running original rigging or have you replaced? My insurance company is asking for a aloft rigging survey, which I did not opt for during pre-purchase unfortunately.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
My rig was inspected last year at haulout and all of the original (2002) rigging was fine except for 2 of the D2s - they showed minor chafing because they rubbed at the cross point. The rigger, who really knows the Selden B&R rig, said they were ok for now but should be planned for replacement. I replaced them and we retuned the rig so they wouldn't touch. All fine at this year's inspection. I have replaced some of the running rigging and will do the rest over the next two years. No crises, but I am switching to hi-tech lo stretch lines for better performance.
+

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I still have all my original standing and running rigging. I have 7885 NM, 9123 SM on my boat. All but about 4 months of my time and miles are fresh water and I am probably going to replace my running rigging this next season, if not all, I’ll start on it, and may do a phased replacement. I haven’t had my rig looked at since 2014, but it was fine then. I don’t see any problems where I can see up close, but could have some high up I am not aware of.