Water, water, water.......

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While most of the boating world is discussing important boating topics, around my marina the conversation is about where to get a good deal on muck boots. It isn't getting much national airtime, however, there is plenty of talk about Lake Ontario and the record flood. Just last week the lake reached its highest level since 1918. And it hasn't crested yet. The lake is about 33 or 34 inches above average high water. That put my marina under a foot or so off water. The carp have moved in, looking to spawn. The ducks paddle by. And the travel lift gets stuck in the mud. They say it will be December before the lake returns to normal levels.

Until the inflow to the lake gets low enough, the water will continue to rise. The dams on the St. Lawrence are as open as they can be without creating unsafe shipping on the St. Lawrence, flooding Montreal even more, or damaging the generators on the hydrostations.

Some of these photos are from a week or two ago. The water is higher yet.

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg My dock. :(

IMG_0466.jpg The latest in fashion footwear at the marina.
IMG_0400.jpg IMG_0432.jpg IMG_0443.jpg IMG_0447.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
:yikes:

A few more feet and you won't need the travel lift.:sosad:

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I would drop my anchor just in case!

I sail Lake Ontario also, our club has halted putting boats in. Our first 2 cruises are cancelled, not sure when I will be able to launch, hopefully before July 1st. I am usually in the water by May 1st, but our docks are under water and there is probably hidden damage that will show up later. Depressing, and the carp were having 'fun' right beside my boat on the weekend, in about 8 inches of water. The power is shut off at the docks, fuel and pumpout are closed...getting a lot done around the house...

Cheers

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
thats not a fun fight, the carp are spawning in the shallows

its their summer of love, like hippies usta have.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
That's the pits for all you folks up that way.
Wondering if all the excess water will effect the canal & the snow birds trying to get back their boats back home. Time to put tractor chains on the travel lift.

Jan 11, 2014
Wondering if all the excess water will effect the canal & the snow birds trying to get back their boats back home. Time to put tractor chains on the travel lift.
The canal is open and doing fine. It was high a couple of weeks ago, but it drained. So that won't be a problem. The issue for boaters are those on fixed docks, those docks are at water level or underwater.

I've suggested chains for the travel lift, they didn't buy it yet.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
The 2nd highest flood ever at Wateree Lake. The 2nd picture is of a gas dock. (The pump is the square thing on the left.)

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Is that guy skinny dipping? Jeez, I hope not.

Or relieving himself of a beer. Even worse.

But I am sorry to see all the folks who are negatively impacted by the high water.

Greg

Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
I had to blow up the picture of the boat with the person in the red jacket, first glance looked almost like the front had slipped down.
Unfortunately that did happen at our marina, new guy apparently hooked the straps of the cover on the straps of the lift, and the real straps inside the covers slipped out as it was being lifted off the stands, fortunately only cosmetic damage. Would have been REALLY upset had it been my boat!

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Hope you guys get your boats in soon. Boaters here at Lake Oroville area have no problems launching but the spring runoff has not happened yet. We have 200% of snow pack in the Sierras and Cascades and hope that water that was let out to 75' below max will be enough. Good ol' California had better fix the spillways right this time! I live just 3 road miles above and behind the lake. I normally take my Catalina 250 to the ocean but I intend to put her in the lake for now. Chief

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
International Lake Ontario - St. Lawrence River Board
To remove a foot of water from Lake Ontario in one week would require outflows higher than inflows, i.e. the total water supplies from Lake Erie, rain on the lake, and runoff, by 9,144 m3/s or in two weeks by 4,572 m3/s. The average weekly total supply for the week ending 24 May was 8,270 m3/s, so you're asking for an outflow of around 12,700 m3/s for two weeks to drop Lake Ontario a foot, when the greatest weekly outflow has been 10,200 m3/s, the maximum ever tried 10,700 m3/s and we're not even sure how much more the system can handle?
https://www.facebook.com/Internatio...1559668550723552&comment_tracking={"tn":"R5"}

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Chin up northern tier boaters! Your compadres down south stand in awe of your ability to manage ice, black-flies and a short sailing season. This too shall pass. Buy the sturdy guy standing chest deep in an icy lake a beer! That is all.

Jan 11, 2014
We have 200% of snow pack in the Sierras and Cascades and hope that water that was let out to 75' below max will be enough.
Chief, it must have been difficult watching all that water go down the river after years of drought.

International Lake Ontario - St. Lawrence River Board
To remove a foot of water from Lake Ontario in one week would require outflows higher than inflows, i.e. the total water supplies from Lake Erie, rain on the lake, and runoff, by 9,144 m3/s or in two weeks by 4,572 m3/s. The average weekly total supply for the week ending 24 May was 8,270 m3/s, so you're asking for an outflow of around 12,700 m3/s for two weeks to drop Lake Ontario a foot, when the greatest weekly outflow has been 10,200 m3/s, the maximum ever tried 10,700 m3/s and we're not even sure how much more the system can handle?
The short story is that your screwed if you own shoreline or if you have a fixed dock.

Here are some sources for more information:
Home - International Lake Ontario - St. Lawrence River Board
Great Lakes Information

And the long term forecast is for more wet weather.