starter button problem

Oct 7, 2013
beneteau 323 (2004) mandeville, la
I recently bought a Beneteau 323 (2004 model). After I turn on the key, sometimes (often even) when I push the starter button, nothing happens. After repeated "pushes," (and turning the key off and on) the starter eventually enagages, the engine starts, etc. I first discovered the problem when entering a narrow harbor in 20 knots wind-- not an ideal place for this to happen). I want to identify and repair the problem.

Is the starter button defective (worn out, etc.) or is there some other potential source for the problem (another Beneteau owner has told me that this is a common problem for the brand and that replacing the starter button will not correct it).

Any advice?

Nov 24, 2012
Check the start button harness (contacts) at the button and the other end (engine) as well. I had the problem once on my Volvo D2-52. Turned out the harness at the engine was loose. You also want to try electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease on all of the contacts.

FYI I've had 4 Beneteaus over 30 years and never heard of anyone replacing a start button/ignition key. .

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Harness checks are good. On our bots there is a fuse in the wire from the ignition button to the starter solenoid. $1.83 piece of junk that fails. Look for it or check your wiring diagram to see if you have one. I agree, it is rarer that the button fails, it's usually the wiring connections and the fuseholder. I bought a new fuseholder and extended the wiring so that the fuseholder is not stuck underneath between the alternator and the starter.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg32211.html#msg32211

Please read the links in that topic.

Oct 7, 2013
beneteau 323 (2004) mandeville, la
Thanks!

Check the start button harness (contacts) at the button and the other end (engine) as well. I had the problem once on my Volvo D2-52. Turned out the harness at the engine was loose. You also want to try electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease on all of the contacts.

FYI I've had 4 Beneteaus over 30 years and never heard of anyone replacing a start button/ignition key. .

Thank you, Captn TJ. I will do as you say and check all the connections between the start button and the starter.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

new323owner

sailrj

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 351 0 Aurora, KY
Had the same issue on our '96 351. The wiring harness is notoriously undersized on the older Yanmar 3GM engines. I solved the problem by replacing the wire from the battery to the key/push button then back to the starter solenoid with #8 tinned wire.
Would think Yanmar would have corrected that by 2004.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Hey New323owner,

We have a 2000 modle 321 which had the same problem.
We ran a new wire from the starter button to the solenoid and have never had the same problem since...
It was a $15 fix (for new wire) and worked great.

With Gusto

sailrj

Jun 16, 2004
Beneteau 351 0 Aurora, KY
That's good to know , Cymeyer. I know for a fact that Yanmar is aware of this problem and you would wonder why that was not corrected in the '90's?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Had the same issue with my 323. Changed the white wire from the key switch to the starter. Instead of following the original Yanmar wire bundle which went aft before it went forward to the engine, I re routed the wire saving about six feet in overall run. I simply detached the white wire in the harness at both ends and left it as an abandoned wire. Because of the small wire gauge in the harness and the extra connectors, there is evidently a rather significant voltage drop in addition to increased resistance. I have had no problem since I made the change. It used to be a bit un-nerving to hit the starter button when coming in after a sail and getting nothing.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.... I know for a fact that Yanmar is aware of this problem and you would wonder why that was not corrected in the '90's?
The wire is probably Beneteau's, not Yanmars doing.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I'm fairly certain that the wiring harness is part of the Yanmar package. This starting issue seems to be fairly common across other brands of boats. Anyway, it's an easy fix once the cause is identified. I actually found the brand name high quality marine grade tinned wire in a local bargain outlet for less than $5.00 and had a supply of ring connectors in my tool box

Jun 4, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 352 NYC
I had the same problem and heard many ideas/theories - I changed out the 12-gauge wire that runs from the push button to the solenoid, with a 10-gauge wire and have not had a problem since. There is not enough power in the 12-gauge wire to kick over the solenoid/starter, to test remove the wires for the fans from the key switch and your engine will start every time but when the fans are reattached, you go through the push and pray ordeal. Best upgrade I ever made on the boat!

Mark Q

Apr 19, 2018
Beneteau 323 Orange Beach
I had the same problem with a 2004 323. After reading the posts here, I decided to replace the rather circuitously routed white wire from the starter button to the solenoid with a straight 10 gauge wire. While I can't say that I didn't eliminate fuses in the process, it did end the problem. Quite a relief to be confident the engine will crank when you need it.

While the distance between the two points is pretty short, I underestimated the length of wire required initially. I thought 10' would be plenty but it required more like 15'. Buy 20' ;-)

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 352 NYC
+1 on changing the wire, I changed the 12# to a 10# and haven't had a problem since.