Towing insurance in BC

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Planning to boat deep (for us) into BC this summer. Wondering what tow insurance/service folks use or recommend? We currently have Boat US, who told me they only cover 50% of any towing fee (up to a max of $3,000), IF they are able to get ahold of a contractor while cruising in BC.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What do you have for insurance? My insurance policy has towing (some portion) included. If Boat US does 50%, maybe your insurance can pick up the other 50% (or some significant portion of that).

Another question for you to think about: do you really feel you need towing insurance for where you will be sailing?

dj

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
We’ve been having some starting issues with the boat since some work was performed on the fuel system, and I want to have the peace of mind we can get towed to a shop or service if/when a situation arises. Our insurer is Geico, and tow service is outsourced to BoatUS (which is also TowboatUS), at the terms I indicated in the OP.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
We’ve been having some starting issues with the boat since some work was performed on the fuel system, and I want to have the peace of mind we can get towed to a shop or service if/when a situation arises. Our insurer is Geico, and tow service is outsourced to BoatUS (which is also TowboatUS), at the terms I indicated in the OP.
That sucks.

I would hope someone who sails up there can give you some advice/help.

If it were me, and no tow insurance option were to become available, I'd see about a plan B, something like get my dinghy set up to tow my own boat ...

dj

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Do you have a dinghy?
Do you think the dinghy might be able to pull your boat?

What about the Primary power on your boat? SAILS.

In a pinch I have seen other sailors toss a boat a line and help them find a safe harbor.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Planning to boat deep (for us) into BC this summer.
Define "deep (for us) into BC".
Once you get past Cape Caution there is no towing service available anywhere. C-Tow offers several plans which possibly will cover your needs. Once you are past Campbell River and into the Discovery Islands or the Broughtons, getting parts and technical assistance maybe be an issue. For peace of mind, I would highly recommend you correct your starting issue before you depart.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We’ve been having some starting issues with the boat since some work was performed on the fuel system, and I want to have the peace of mind we can get towed to a shop or service if/when a situation arises.
In post 6, Len offers some very sage advice. Best you solve your starting issues before casting off. Odds of getting a tow from a commercial enterprise pretty low the further north you cruise. If it were me, after solving the starting issue, I would make sure no tow would be needed. Having a reliable anchoring system, good sails to get me where I needed to go, appropriate spares, mechanical skills to replace parts as needed, all important in these remote PNW waters.

My peace of mind comes with preparation. Find another boater to sail with you; two heads better than one. In all these years of cruising preparation, a commercial tow has never crossed my mind, nor been an option, although our policy does have it available. Spend more time building your self confidence in solving what comes before you, whatever that might be.

• Helpful
Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
Of note, marine mechanics are in very high demand in BC. I booked my alignment and valve adjustment in march, it might get done in June.... a buddy needs help to reinstall an engine, he was told July for a days work by his mechanic.

Definitely sort out the mechanicals before coming here....