Gooseneck Pin

May 7, 2019
Hunter 33.5 Minisceongo Yacht Club New Yor
Hello everyone. I went to my Hunter the other day to begin Spring prep work to get it ready for launch. While going through the boat taking noes for my to-do-list I noticed something strange. The gooseneck pin was completely missing and a washer was directly below on the deck. Can a pin like that just fall off, disappear without a trace? See picture. Are they just standard pins like a clevis pin?

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Assuming yours is like my goose neck. and the pin drops down into the assembly from the top...
No, it shouldn't just "pop out". If the boom moved back and forth continuously I suppose
it could work the pin out over time. But that would be a one in a million occurrence, IMHO!

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Those are bolts with plastic lock nut at the thread end. The bolt should be installed from the top and a washer and a nut placed at the bottom.
I suspect someone in the past installed the bolt upside down. The motion of the boom loosened and eventually the bolt fell off. Replace it with 3/8" stainless steel bolt and locknut at the bottom.

• Helpful
May 7, 2019
Assuming yours is like my goose neck. and the pin drops down into the assembly from the top...
No, it shouldn't just "pop out". If the boom moved back and forth continuously I suppose
it could work the pin out over time. But that would be a one in a million occurrence, IMHO!
Hi. Thanks for letting me know. Seems odd, yes.

May 7, 2019
Those are bolts with plastic lock nut at the thread end. The bolt should be installed from the top and a washer and a nut placed at the bottom.
I suspect someone in the past installed the bolt upside down. The motion of the boom loosened and eventually the bolt fell off. Replace it with 3/8" stainless steel bolt and locknut at the bottom.
Hi. It's possible it was installed upside down. I never paid attention to that. Thanks for the tip on the bolt size.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
Twice, Ive had a goose neck pin with ring fall out while trailering. Switched to a bolt with lock nut, no more failures so far.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P