Just bought boat two boats in one day...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There are programs to help with this problem. :biggrin:

Best to store kayaks upside down. Skirts can leak and fill the boat with water.

• Ha
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There are programs to help with this problem. :biggrin:

Best to store kayaks upside down. Skirts can leak and fill the boat with water.
I misread and thought of this quote. Ironically, your post is even more fitting!
"Ah beer. The cause of and the solution to all of life's problems.” -Homer Simpson

Thanks for the tip. I figured the skirts would be enough to keep the water out. I will most likely store them in my cargo trailer. The pic was what the seller had posted. He was a paddling fanatic. It took him two back surgeries before he finally called it quits. I could tell he was getting a sentimental because of how concerned he was about them being strapped down properly. There's a few holes towards the deck that could use to be filled in but otherwise they appear to be in good shape.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks for the tip. I figured the skirts would be enough to keep the water out. I will most likely store them in my cargo trailer. The pic was what the seller had posted. He was a paddling fanatic. It took him two back surgeries before he finally called it quits. I could tell he was getting a sentimental because of how concerned he was about them being strapped down properly. There's a few holes towards the deck that could use to be filled in but otherwise they appear to be in good shape.
The second time I almost drowned, I gave up white water kayaking. Still stop at rivers and rapids and am a sucker for WW paddling YouTube videos.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The second time I almost drowned, I gave up white water kayaking. Still stop at rivers and rapids and am a sucker for WW paddling YouTube videos.
I was taught how to roll a kayak when I was about 10. I'm much older and weigh an extra 100lbs. I think I could still roll all the way around, although, not very gracefully. I think one kayak has bulkheads built in and the other has a couple that the owner installed using closed cell foam and silicone sealant. The Chicago river is pretty calm as long as your not dealing with traffic downtown. We've rented kayaks on the North Branch once and in nearby forest preserves the other times

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Your title got me!

I did OWN 2 boats at the same time for a little while.… Bought Tally Ho (my current O’Day 322 ) before I sold Obsession ( my Hunter 280). Luckily I sold the Hunter before the end of the season…but I had to discount the price the cost of winter storage.

I joked that I was starting a fleet…

Tally Ho in the background, Obsession in the foreground…
IMG_3086.jpeg

Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Your title got me!

I did OWN 2 boats at the same time for a little while.… Bought Tally Ho (my current O’Day 322 ) before I sold Obsession ( my Hunter 280). Luckily I sold the Hunter before the end of the season…but I had to discount the price the cost of winter storage.

View attachment 224154

Greg
Don't get us started on the "how many boats I've owned at the same time" .... It could get ugly...

dj

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Your title got me!

View attachment 224154

Greg
Obsession is for sale once again! Nevermind winter storage, I can't imagine how expensive two slips at the same time must've been

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Obsession is for sale once again! Nevermind winter storage, I can't imagine how expensive two slips at the same time must've been
I saw she was for sale…..I didn’t pay for 2 slips…the one next to me was empty, and we’re about 30 days from the end of the season….I hope the statute of limitations has passed on that :yikes:

Greg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Seven kayaks, two canoes, two sailboats, and an aluminum fishing boat.

I raced ww slolam in high school. Taught myself how to roll the Summer after my freshman year. We'd just moved to New Hampshire the year before, so we spent the Summer visiting friends back in Florida. I practiced off the dock at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways. Every time I wet exited, I'd have to climb up the barnacle covered pilings to get out, right the boat, emtpy it on the dock, and climb back in to try again. Lots of incentive to learn quickly.

-Will

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I saw she was for sale…..I didn’t pay for 2 slips…the one next to me was empty, and we’re about 30 days from the end of the season….I hope the statute of limitations has passed on that :yikes:

Greg
The Chicago Harbors only checks for stickers and whatnot 2-3 times a season. I knew a guy that managed to stay in various empty slips without paying for an entire season. He'd go for a sail whenever he saw them doing their checks
Seven kayaks, two canoes, two sailboats, and an aluminum fishing boat.

I raced ww slolam in high school. Taught myself how to roll the Summer after my freshman year. We'd just moved to New Hampshire the year before, so we spent the Summer visiting friends back in Florida. I practiced off the dock at Clearwater Bay Marine Ways. Every time I wet exited, I'd have to climb up the barnacle covered pilings to get out, right the boat, emtpy it on the dock, and climb back in to try again. Lots of incentive to learn quickly.

-Will
That's a lot of maintenance! I now have two kayaks, an O'Day 25, 8' rowing dinghy and a 19' motorboat. I got my first boat, which was a 420, for free when I was 14. We popped it on top of the station wagon and hauled it home for some repairs. I had taken the rub rail off because it was broken in multiple pieces and didn't bother to put the screws back in.
I LOVE heeling! We would often time see just how far we could push the boat and sometimes we would capsize. Other times we would capsize just for fun. The sailing camp I went to had us do two weeks of straight capsizing drills. We would be standing on the dagger board before the mast even touched the water. Well one day my friend said lets capsize for fun. So we did and went for a very short swim at the same time. Little did we know that those little screw holes had been slowly letting water in. The stern of the boat was lower in the water than expected. We righted the boat and it flopped right back over. We did the same thing over and over. Eventually, it was apparent that we weren't getting back to shore. My friend hopped out and ran to shore for help. At this point, only the first three feet of the boat was above water but I managed to sail it slowly into the rocks. It took four teenagers and a heavy duty golf cart to haul it onto shore to let it drain. I reinstalled the screws before my next sail. A lesson well learned. We still continued to capsize for fun however. The sidestays were stretched, the mast bent, the centerboard trunk seal was missing, the hull had tons of scratches from beaching it, the gelcoat was faded and there were plenty of repairs that just barely functioned due to my extremely limited budget but we sailed it nearly every day. I miss that boat more than any I've ever owned

Last edited: