Lewmar wheel brake jammed

Jun 18, 2013
Hunter 44DS East Greenwich, RI
After 2 days anchored in 30+ kts winds and 1-3 ft waves, the wheel brake, which I had tightened by hand will not come loose. Tried oil filter pliers but did not want to force anything as we still have about 150 nm to go to our destination. I can turn the steering wheel by hand, overpowering the brake. Any suggestions how to resolve this are much appreciated.

2004 Hunter 44 DS
Picture of wheel brake attached.

Attachments

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Quite often there is an adjustment for the brake inside the pedestal, under the compass. You could remove the compass and see if you can loosen up the adjustment. Good luck

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
As @Claude L.-Auger has mentioned, if you can't loosen from beneath the compass, see if you can disconnect the braking mechanism completely. After that, it's on to the auxilliary rudder control to get you home

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Had that happen once on my Edson Brake. I just couldn’t free it using the round knob on the outside of the pedestal. As Claude mentioned, remove the compass, that opens up the view inside.
I used a vise grip plier on the shaft. The gives you the hold you need. Then, very slightly, maneuver the plier up and down. That should free the hold the brake has. It did on mine.
While you are in there make certain there is grease on the gears. If you haven’t smeared a light coating of grease on the gears in a while, it will harden and dry up.
That extra torque should do the trick.
Hope this helps you out.

Jun 18, 2013
Hunter 44DS East Greenwich, RI
Thanks for your comments. Upon close inspection I noticed that one of the steering wheel bolts had vibrated loose and jammed the brake knob. With the help of a large screw driver I could push the knob outward too clear the bolt. I subsequently tighted all the bolts as they were all loose. Easy fix!