Electric Windlass

May 6, 2013
Beneteau 352 Holland,MI
We have a 1999 Beneteau 352 with a manual windlass. We would like to replace the manual with an electric model. Any suggestions on models that work well or things we should be aware of when choosing an electric windlass?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
We have a 1999 Beneteau 352 with a manual windlass. We would like to replace the manual with an electric model. Any suggestions on models that work well or things we should be aware of when choosing an electric windlass?
They are expensive to buy and expensive to install.

We have an eWincher which is a nicely designed and powerful electric winch handle. Takes a little more effort than simply pushing a button, however, it is more versatile in that it will turn any winch into an electric winch and it is considerably cheaper than a single electric winch. We use it for raising sails, lifting the dingy and motor, taking my wife up the mast, and any time we don't feel like cranking a winch. There are other electric winch handles, however the eWincher has much better ergonomics. It makes sailing an cruising a possibility for a couple of septuagenarians.

jbmia

Jul 22, 2021
Beneteau 323 S. Florida
I'm not a windlass expert, but I just rebuilt a Maxwell RC10 and it's a pretty simple and solid piece of kit.. a motor, a sealed gear assembly, and the chain wheel assembly... One thing I would recommend is to buy a from a good long standing brand with a good parts network. In the case of the maxwell, all the o-rings and a switch I needed for the rebuild are still available.. the motor I stripped and repainted was rusted on the exterior, but the interior was fine.. I would imagine there are many other brands in use others will chime in with...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Simpson-Lawrence, who was bought out by Lewmar, used to use a French-made motor by Leroy-Somner. It was garbage. So unless Lewmar is using a different manufacturer for their windlass motors, I would stay away from Lewmar.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
From my experience, Lofranz makes very durable and reliable small boat windlasses.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 Maxwell horizontal windlass still doing a yeoman’s job.