Disassemble Older Morse Shifter

Apr 7, 2024
Ericson 27 Clinton
Anyone know how to disassemble this old Morse shifter? I need to relocate it to a different spot in the cockpit, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to take it apart.

1712521546150.png

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
It is very likely they were pressed on. There would be an inner and an outer stem. If you tried to prying you would most likely damage some part. It looks like it's of an age where poured or pot metal was used in the manufacturing process, covered in a nickel chrome. I am sure you you would like to save the unit and reuse. How ever it might behoove you to upgrade and get something new, but have a classic look. If the latter is the case, then cut it off. This is my 2cents worth. I hope someone can answer your question who has first hand experience.

Apr 7, 2024
Ericson 27 Clinton
It is very likely they were pressed on. There would be an inner and an outer stem. If you tried to prying you would most likely damage some part. It looks like it's of an age where poured or pot metal was used in the manufacturing process, covered in a nickel chrome. I am sure you you would like to save the unit and reuse. How ever it might behoove you to upgrade and get something new, but have a classic look. If the latter is the case, then cut it off. This is my 2cents worth. I hope someone can answer your question who has first hand experience.
Thanks, twodzusfittings, I believe you are correct. As I look closely at the contraption, press fitting seems to be what was done. And, I believe trying to pry it apart will only make matters worse!
That said, do you have any idea where I can find an upgrade replacement that will work. The Atomic 4 requires some serious pressure on the shift cable to fully engage forward gear! A replacement will need to provide that. Thanks,

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD