Stem Fitting

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
I have a 1980 C22 and the stem fitting is lifting up which according the catalina direct is a known issue. Has anyone done the retrofit to fix it. I am looking at the catalina direct site and would I need the fitting and the retrofit kit?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I go through my trials and tribulations with everything foredeck here:

Fore-deck Fun

Might be useful for you-- and I would recommend the reinforcement hardware from CD to tie your stem plate to the reinforced bow eye.

• Helpful
Jul 13, 2015
and a second outstanding version of the foredeck retrofit by @AaronD for reference here:

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
Inspected and took pics, looks like a prior owner put in a fix. I am thinking that I just need to replace the stem fitting with the retrofit fitting and use the turnbuckle that they put in. I am assuming it was lifting, they put in a pull down for the fitting but didn't replace the fitting itself. Is it difficult to replace the fitting, looks like I will need to cut a slot in the deck for the tab to go down below.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Inspected and took pics, looks like a prior owner put in a fix. I am thinking that I just need to replace the stem fitting with the retrofit fitting and use the turnbuckle that they put in. I am assuming it was lifting, they put in a pull down for the fitting but didn't replace the fitting itself. Is it difficult to replace the fitting, looks like I will need to cut a slot in the deck for the tab to go down below.
Got a better picture of the bow? It looks like someone cut away and replaced the plywood core for the bow fitting. The new retrofit tang is fine but it also looks like the turnbuckle they have may be accomplishing the same purpose. Don't fix what's not broke.

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
I will take a picture of the fitting. I think the fitting needs to be replaced. But will post the exterior picture.

Jul 13, 2015
You certainly have the upgraded bow eye and block-- the right rigging to secure it to the existing stem fitting. PO obviously reinforced with that small backer block-- but all things considered it looks better than most. Unless there's a reason to question it (@LakeShark 's comments about the other side). You might be in decent shape. It does appear that the extreme foredeck was manipulated-- looks too clean to be original. Your PO has definitely done some remodeling. Untouched looked something like the below:

IMG_2269.jpg

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
You certainly have the upgraded bow eye and block-- the right rigging to secure it to the existing stem fitting. PO obviously reinforced with that small backer block-- but all things considered it looks better than most. Unless there's a reason to question it (@LakeShark 's comments about the other side). You might be in decent shape. It does appear that the extreme foredeck was manipulated-- looks too clean to be original. Your PO has definitely done some remodeling. Untouched looked something like the below:

View attachment 224190
I will take a pic in a couple days and follow up. Thanks for the input y'all

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@mashmaster it looks like your turnbuckle was not tight enough to direct the strain to the bow eye. If it were me I would likely go with the upgraded bow fitting. If resources are tight you may get away with refreshing the hardware and properly mentioning the turnbuckle. That is provided your not the type of sailor to push the boats limits in large wind etc. If you do like to push the limits well... you know how much strength you'll need.

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
@mashmaster it looks like your turnbuckle was not tight enough to direct the strain to the bow eye. If it were me I would likely go with the upgraded bow fitting. If resources are tight you may get away with refreshing the hardware and properly mentioning the turnbuckle. That is provided your not the type of sailor to push the boats limits in large wind etc. If you do like to push the limits well... you know how much strength you'll need.
Yeah I was thinking to replace the fitting. The forestay is way too tight. I need to loose. That and I will tighten the turnbuckle underneath as tight as I can get it.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@mashmaster sounds like a good plan but don't over doo the turnbuckle. People are often wrenching their stays down putting undue stress on the rig.

I race and cruise my boat. When cruising I go "tight enough and even". When racing there is a full 10-12 inches of side to side play off center at nose height on the forestay with the rig eased at the dock (no sails etc). This allows me to control the luff tension better and add or remove power from the large headsail. Your stays generally just need to be not floppy on the leeward side with a straight mast.

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
@mashmaster sounds like a good plan but don't over doo the turnbuckle. People are often wrenching their stays down putting undue stress on the rig.

I race and cruise my boat. When cruising I go "tight enough and even". When racing there is a full 10-12 inches of side to side play off center at nose height on the forestay with the rig eased at the dock (no sails etc). This allows me to control the luff tension better and add or remove power from the large headsail. Your stays generally just need to be not floppy on the leeward side with a straight mast.
I am going to have to learn how to set it up.

Jul 13, 2015
Interesting-- I don't see the opposite evidence in the previous pics to suggest the stem fitting is pulling away from that backing block. I might be inclined to try releasing the tension on the forestay to slack-- replace the stem fitting bolts with longer stock (give yourself an inch below the nut), re-tension the bow eye tackle, and see if you can't bring the fitting back to flush before re-tensioning the forestay.

Worst case scenario you're out a few bucks on bolts. But that process should either confirm you don't have a problem or expose the one you have.

mjp83

Jul 11, 2012
Oday Mariner 2+2 Trailer sailer
I have an 81 and just did my own upgrade, and your bow area under the stem fitting looks like mine, seems not much paint made it up to that area. I also would agree to loosen the forward stay, and tighten the bolts and turn the turnbuckle to pull the fitting back on the deck.
IMG_4647.jpeg