Trip planning Bar Harbor to Boston

Apr 1, 2024
Union Bay EO 36 Marquette, MI
We plan to sail out of Bar Harbor on the first good weather on or after April 28, 2024. I would like some local knowledge regarding trip planning. A list of anchorage recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Any other advice would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
John Sonderegger

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Lots of places to stop, but they're often a ways in from the ocean. How much time do you want to spend going up & down fingers? April and May are likely to be quite cold and foggy. Are you wanting to stop a lot or do you just want to get to Boston? From Bar Harbor, Stonington might be a good initial run, to make sure all your systems are working properly. Billings in Stonington can fix just about anything that needs fixing. From there, Portland might make the most sense, unless you want to check out Camden, Rockport or Rockland. We did not like the reception we got in Vinalhaven - silence and cold stares when we inquired about moorings - the only unfriendly place we've been in Maine. Unless you want to try Portsmouth NH, it makes sense to head for Cape Anne after Portland. Marblehead, Gloucester, Manchester and Salem offer quite different experiences. Rockport, MA is nice too, but quite touristy. Tell us more about how much time you have and what interests you. Taft's Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast should be in your library and on board for the trip.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
Tenant’s Harbor, right at the mouth of Penobscot Bay, is a fantastic place to stop. Be sure that marinas are accepting reservations on their docks/moorings if you’re planning on going that route. It will still be very early in the season.

The Isles of Shoals (Gosport Harbor) is a great, protected overnight with (usually) plenty of moorings available. It’s a good stopping point from Biddeford Pool or Cape Anne. Boston is reachable in about one (long) day from the Shoals.

Pay close attention to the weather. The maritime weather in NE can get nasty still in the spring. There are lots of bailout points along the way.

PS - PM me if you’d like to connect. I’m local to the area.

Last edited: