New to me Cat 22

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
I just took ownership of a new to me 1980 Catalina 22. Lots of things to address immediately and a lot to deal with over time. The keel cable was snapped when I got it. Someone helped me get the keel somewhat up and then onto a trailer. I was able to replace the cable with a new assembly so that problem was addressed first. Now onto other critical items like: replacing all the running rigging, getting the standing rigging inspected, replacing the foresail (the prior one was left in the sun and it disintegrated in my hands, having the motor cleaned, and cleaning/removing the wasps nests. And securing a trailer since I am borrowing a trailer currently.

Wish me luck, I know a paint job/gel coat are in my future along with cleaning up the keel. It is overwhelming. Picture of my boat attached for reference.

Attachments

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
From the sounds of it, you should probably just go ahead and replace the standing rigging. Its not crazy expensive and the piece of mind with knowing its all new will build confidence. I replaced all mine the second I got my boat. I now its exact age and what conditions it has been thru. Just my opinion.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
@mashmaster Welcome to the forum and the boat ownership club. I would highly echo @morbidfollower in replacing the standing rigging. Generally take the boat for the standpoint of safety first. Start with the critical equipment (keeping mast up, keel moving, water on the outside of the boat etc.) then on to the wants (running rigging, sails, etc.). Don't get caught in the perpetual project stage that so many seem to fin themselves trapped in. Get it functional and on the water. Then decide what changes to make next.

Also check the keel trunk for damage since the cable snapped. Depending on where it broke and when, sometimes a falling keel can crack the trunk causing a leak.

By the way I highly recommend the Tech manual and the Catalina 22 national sailing association. There is a very active presence in Texas which can be a source of parts, advice, and instruction. Also the tech manual is over 500 pages of "how to" instructions for the boat based on the experience from past owners.

Here's my boat just for fun as well.

IMG_9667.jpg

Mar 26, 2024
Catalina 22 Lake Travis
Thanks. Boat is very dry and it was stored on the water so I feel pretty good about the trunk.... but is will check it.

mjp83

Jul 11, 2012
Oday Mariner 2+2 Trailer sailer
My 81 was on the hard for 15 years. Seems the glass warmed and cooled at different rates than the bronze fittings and both my cockpit drain line and keel cable pipe were loose in the hull! Epoxied the keel pipe back in, but the garden hose through hull had to go! Used a graco 750 valve and matching through hull fitting.
IMG_4683.jpeg