Precision 23 mast question

Mar 31, 2024
precision p23 cypermont point, la
Sweetest deal ever. Found a guy that bought a camp that has a p23 floating next to the dock of the camp.
I asked him about it. We made a deal. He said to come get it, fix anything I want to fix and keep the reciepts and he will reimburse me. He said I can keep the boat as long as I like then return it (if I want).
my goal is to learn how to rerig a sailboat and have something to sail as I await retirement in 2-3 years and buy my blue water sail boat.
Question. The mast has not been taken down in at least 10 years. Are there videos on taking down the mast? It’s in a lake, so the mast has to be taken down before it’s on the trailer. Also, is there some details on how the mast sits on the boat for transport? How to take off the boom?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ask someone to merge the duplicate posts.
You may need a crane to pull the mast.
There is no need to remove the mast before the boat is on the trailer and out of the water. If might be easier to get the crane near the boat .

Since you have never done this and Mast are heavy. Mistakes taking a mast off a boat can hurt people, you might want to get help from a knowledgeable boat yard.

Some folk lay the mast down on the boat if they can.

Mar 31, 2024
precision p23 cypermont point, la
There’s no cranes or marinas on the small lake. There are trees oer hanging the boat launch.
I think our best best is block and tackle attached to the guys boat dock.
Position the boat like med mooring and lower the mast from two points from the dock lowering the mast away from us?!
Not sure.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can you post a picture of the mast step (the base)? Boats that are often trailered, such as yours, will have a folding or hinged apparatus to make lowering the mast easier. This also means there may be some additional hardware on the boat that a previous owner might have use for that purpose. In most cases, boats that are regularly trailered will be set up to raise and lower the mast in the parking lot while the boat is still on the trailer, and related hardware..... such as a "gin pole"... would eliminate the need for a crane.

So.... dig through the boat and see if you can find anything that might fit this purpose. With a hinged mast step, sometimes called a tabernacle, you stabilize the mast with a stay on each side to keep it from swaying, and a fore and aft oriented set of tackle to help lift the load.
See what you can find and get back to us.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Precision sailboats are great little boats. Designed by Jim Taylor, they are fast fun boats. The company is still in business and supports Precision boat owners. They have a page with a lot of technical information. I only took a quick look at the support page and there is an article on Mast raising. Taking the mast down is usually just the reverse process. On a 23' boat the mast can be taken down without a crane.

How the mast sits on a trailer depends on the boat and trailer. Some masts ride along side or under the boat, some are supported above the boat. There isn't a standard way.

Take at look at the Precision Website and Taylor's website to learn more about your boat. And enjoy it. Full disclosure, I own a Jim Taylor designed boat, love it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@mikevet

take a look what is on the Precision site. Are there two sailors around that can help. Then let us know and let me know. I use to be a Precision dealer now retired.
Crazy Dave