Don't Always Trust Cross Reference Directories

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have spent a couple of days pulling some boat maintenance. The first annoyance was finding that someone had shipped me an improper primary fuel filter. It was the same number but had a letter suffix. It requires a hook up to monitor and will not work with my install (no way to cap it off). So, I set off to see if WM or another Marine store had one (OEM is Raycor). Nope, so I went to a truck supplier that has a large inventory. Not in stock; can order. Fine. Next day, it's in. Not the one I ordered but compatible per the cross reference. Nope. It was just a bit too large for the housing. Back to them to order what I wanted originally. So, the next frustration was the impeller. Over the 25 years I have owned the boat, I had used Yanmar until I received a Johnson in a Yanmar package. Since I have used the Johnson until this site and WM were out, so I cross-referenced the Yanmar and came up with a Jabsco. Two hours trying everything I knew to fit that sucker to no avail. Absolutely could NOT get that thing on the shaft. I gave up and put the old Johnson back in. Took all of 20 minutes. (It was in perfect shape.) I should mention that the access to the pump is a serious PITA. SO, just a word of caution. As equipment ages, references become obsolete, equipment is changed, and spec's are lost. I have run into the same with my 50 year old Jaguar.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Had similar issues with filters and adaptors. DON"T TRUST THEM. or leave yourself plenty of time to ship back and forth.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Good post !

Parts Cross reference for almost anything old, is hit and miss. definitely beware.

A recent example: I ordered a kit of new belts for a cassette player. 2 of the belts in the kit were the same, in spite of the OEM being different part numbers.

After research comparing a few cross references to look for consistency...One should have been 6 inches and the other 5.6 inches. The difference in length would fit, but cause intermittent malfunction.

Double check with multiple info sources before you trust that cross reference.