nav pod vhf mounting

Jan 12, 2024
sabre sabre 30 jersey city
im looking at a 3 instrument helm pod for auto pilot and wind. the extra space for a vhf. i cannot find definitive depth info. the diagrams found are a bit cryptic. has anybody mounted a vhf flush in the center - deepest part? what was the max useable depth and what radio ? ive seen slim radios with 3.4 / 3.4 inch back space
thanks

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Mount the VHF below and use a remote mic. A wireless remote is much easier to install than a wired remote.
:plus: That's what I've done. My remote mike connects via blue tooth and lives in a Zarcor holder on the pedestal.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Another :plus: for putting the VHF in the cabin with a remote handset in the cockpit. Keeps the wiring simple and keeps the main VHF someplace cool and dry.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: Another remote mike in the cockpit boat. Simple. Convenient. No theft solution (just store mike in cabin when not in use.)

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Whether the radio is close or remote, just remember that the handheld mic, however configured, has a strong magnet and will affect your compass when within about 15".
We like our wireless Simrad radio/mic, but watch where we park the remote whenever using the compass heading.

Jan 12, 2024
sabre sabre 30 jersey city
thanks. hadnt thought of the remote mike... will investigate. the radio on the boat is an antique but working fine, maybe time for an upgrade or just add a back up

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
thanks. hadnt thought of the remote mike... will investigate. the radio on the boat is an antique but working fine, maybe time for an upgrade or just add a back up
From a safety perspective an upgrade is important. Current VHFs all have DSC (Digital Selective Service) which has neat features that recreational boaters seldom use. More importantly they have a "Panic Button" which will send out an emergency broadcast. The broadcast is digital which all nearby VHFs will receive and the CG. To get the full function from this feature the radio needs to be connected to a GPS or have an internal GPS. The broadcast will send out a distress signal and the GPS coordinates if it is connected. There are options for different distress messages, like COB, fire, sinking, medical emergency, etc.

The higher end VHFs have receive only AIS and a few have an AIS transponder. If you are sailing in foggy weather or in an area with a high concentration of commercial ships, AIS is incredibly valuable.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Another option: on my boat, the main VHF is down below with an external speaker in the cockpit. I keep a handheld VHF at the helm for back-up and quick access but can listen to channel 16 on the main VHF (using house batteries). If you ever need to use your VHF in anger, you're gong to want to be below anyway to get out of the weather.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a B&G V50 VHF and the H50 remote unit. I chose this pair several years ago because the radio provides AIS info and supports N2K…so it was easy to connect to my Chart plotter (where I can display the AIS targets).

I don’t think that they make this unit any longer…but maybe it has been replaced with a newer unit.

the remote unit includes a wireless charging cradle, which I mounted where I Like to use the radio in my cockpit…so it can stay charged while sailing…and it is very reachable while I am at the helm. The remote talks to the base unit and uses the antenna on the mast…it is not reliant on a little hand-held antenna.

Greg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don’t think that they make this unit any longer…but maybe it has been replaced with a newer unit.
They did replace it with the V60 and its matching H60 handset, which is very similar. They also now offer a V60B which has an AIS transponder instead of just receive.

I have the V50 equivalent from Simrad, the RS35 and I’ve also been quite happy with it. My charging cradle is just in the cabin but we find the battery lasts a full daysail pretty easily. I’ve had to replace the battery a couple times in 10 years but it’s a standard Li Ion battery and pretty easy to replace.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have a B&G V50 VHF and the H50 remote unit. I chose this pair several years ago because the radio provides AIS info and supports N2K…so it was easy to connect to my Chart plotter (where I can display the AIS targets).

the remote unit includes a wireless charging cradle, which I mounted where I Like to use the radio in my cockpit…so it can stay charged while sailing…and it is very reachable while I am at the helm. The remote talks to the base unit and uses the antenna on the mast…it is not reliant on a little hand-held antenna.

Greg
We have the later version, the V60 with 2 H60 wireless remotes. The B&G remotes have a battery life of about 8 hours. Since we were planning multi-day sails, we bought 2 remotes. One is always charging and the other is in use. Every 8 hours we swap. Running more wire to the steering pedestal not not really an option and since we don't have pod there was really no where to mount the radio or the charging cradle. The VHF and the charging cradle are at the Nav station.

The V60 comes in 2 flavors, one with receive only AIS and one with an AIS transmitter. Neither are inexpensive, however, the cost to the AIS-Transmitter version is about the same as a VHF and AIS. Both versions have GPS so the DCS Panic Button sends the coordinates.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
We have the later version, the V60 with 2 H60 wireless remotes. The B&G remotes have a battery life of about 8 hours. Since we were planning multi-day sails, we bought 2 remotes. One is always charging and the other is in use. Every 8 hours we swap. Running more wire to the steering pedestal not not really an option and since we don't have pod there was really no where to mount the radio or the charging cradle. The VHF and the charging cradle are at the Nav station.

The V60 comes in 2 flavors, one with receive only AIS and one with an AIS transmitter. Neither are inexpensive, however, the cost to the AIS-Transmitter version is about the same as a VHF and AIS. Both versions have GPS so the DCS Panic Button sends the coordinates.
My V50 does not have GPS, so another reason I had to network it…now it gets GPS coordinates from the Chart Plotter and the Chart Plotter gets AIS from the V50.

Glad to hear they continue to invest in this design of radio…it has worked well for me.

Greg