how is to ship a 9 meters motor boat from costa rica to miami?

tdot

Jan 20, 2024
no name 9 samara
hi all,

we have a motor boat and looking for ways to ship it from costa rica to miami. what are the most cost efficient ways ?

we r new to all this.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If it is narrow enough (~8 feet) it can ship in a container. If not it will have to by deck on a freighter. There are companies that specialize in shipping boats all over the world. If it won't fit in a container it will be expensive and perhaps not worth the money.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

I'm no expert but I was considering buying a boat in St. Kitts and getting it to New York. Your options, from lowest cost to highest cost are:
1. Delivering it yourself
2. Hiring a delivery captain, with you as crew
3. Hiring a delivery captain and crew
4. Shipping via boat.

Items 1-3 assume the vessel is sea worthy and suitable for the trip.

Item 4 is easy but will be expensive, on the order of thousands of dollars. When I did my research it would have been on the order of $20,000 USD to ship a 40', 16000lb boat from St. Kitts (or maybe one island north, I'm not quite sure) to either Miami or Newport

Barry

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You might also try posting this on a Powerboat forum.:poop:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Which coast is the boat on?

A 9m powerboat can be trailered. You might be able to simply trailer the boat home, but I don't know what the political climate, or other socio-political concerns there may be between trailering through Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico, to get to the U.S., but trying to bring a boat into the US can be tricky.

Maybe trailering to a jump-off point and delivering the boat from there to avoid dangerous regions and coastlines.

Tell us a little more about the vessel. What's her range and speed?

I'd first look at a container ship, less confrontation with someone who may want to confiscate your Costa Rican purchase.

If she can make the trip on her own, that might be a reasonable option. Make sure to talk to the authorities ahead of time, tell them what you're trying to do, and get their advice.

-Will