1981 Hunter 30 Rudder problems

Oct 16, 2023
Hunter 30 Little River
my rudder binds up when its in the straight position enough to knock the paint off of the top of the rudder? Im guessing the rudder shaft is bent? the cables where disconnected from the wheel when i bought it and was told that something broke so its not news to me ..But im just getting around to messing with it and was wondering could it be anything else ? I cant see any kind of spacer on the top of the rudder so I dont know if its a lack nof a spacer or bent shaft as this is my first boat...I put the emergency tiller on to see if the rudder moved at all and only when its in the straight position does it bind???????

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Photos would really help us diagnose the issue.

Overall phot of the rudder, including the top where the rudder hits. Some close ups of that area too.
Any other shots you think coukd be relevant…some good folks here can offer some ideas.

Greg

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
It's binding on the small extension of the hull directly amid ship. Once the rudder passes to the left or right of the center line, it's got room to move.
Now, as to why your rudder sits too high?
The bottom of the rudder and a shoal draft keel (like mine) are very close to the same depth. If the boat was grounded at a low tide, she may have settled on the rudder and the weight of the boat pushed it up.
Solution: Check the quadrant for mis-alignment and remove it, check for damage. Remove the rudder, check for stress cracks and delamination. Inspect the shaft for bends, replace the bushings. Check the mounts inside the stern for damage.
Repair all of the above as necessary.
Sorry for your troubles. It all sounds overwhelming I know.
But if you are under 50 yrs old, it will be your first lesson in how to rebuild your new boat.
It won't be the last.
PM me if you want more info.
G.

Oct 16, 2023
Hunter 30 Little River
my rudder binds up when its in the straight position enough to knock the paint off of the top of the rudder? Im guessing the rudder shaft is bent? the cables where disconnected from the wheel when i bought it and was told that something broke so its not news to me ..But im just getting around to messing with it and was wondering could it be anything else ? I cant see any kind of spacer on the top of the rudder so I dont know if its a lack nof a spacer or bent shaft as this is my first boat...I put the emergency tiller on to see if the rudder moved at all and only when its in the straight position does it bind???????
It's binding on the small extension of the hull directly amid ship. Once the rudder passes to the left or right of the center line, it's got room to move.
Now, as to why your rudder sits too high?
The bottom of the rudder and a shoal draft keel (like mine) are very close to the same depth. If the boat was grounded at a low tide, she may have settled on the rudder and the weight of the boat pushed it up.
Solution: Check the quadrant for mis-alignment and remove it, check for damage. Remove the rudder, check for stress cracks and delamination. Inspect the shaft for bends, replace the bushings. Check the mounts inside the stern for damage.
Repair all of the above as necessary.
Sorry for your troubles. It all sounds overwhelming I know.
But if you are under 50 yrs old, it will be your first lesson in how to rebuild your new boat.
It won't be the last.
PM me if you want more info.
G.
Thank you sir!!!! I will pm you and post pics of it tomorrow

Oct 16, 2023
Hunter 30 Little River
Photos would really help us diagnose the issue.

Overall phot of the rudder, including the top where the rudder hits. Some close ups of that area too.
Any other shots you think coukd be relevant…some good folks here can offer some ideas.

Greg
Thank you sir I will take better pics tomorrow and post them

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
My deep keel ‘82 H30 has a skeg mounted rudder and I always assumed, based on the owner’s manual diagram, that all the Cherubini H30’s did. Maybe I was wrong. Do the shoal keel H30’s not have a skeg? Is this boat deep keel or shoal keel? It would be impossible the bend the rudder stock without seriously damaging the skeg….if it has one. Or used to(?).
It will be interesting to see photos.
.IMG_1676.jpeg

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Yes, the shoal draft version has a skeg just as the deep draft model.
We'll have to wait for the OP to report back as to what the actual damage is.
But, if the rudder moves freely except passing the centerline, I doubt the
rudder stock is bent.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Lots of speculation here on what the problem is. There should be about an inch or so gap between the top of the rudder and the hull. Yes, the h30 shoal keel of that era does have a skeg hung rudder and if the rudder post was bent it would have more than likely ripped the skeg out. Had this happen. Almost lost the boat. Send exterior and interior, (quadrant area), pics. This should not be that difficult to diagnose.