Vision (freestanding) Mast holding water

Nov 19, 2023
Hunter 32 Vision Watauga Lake, TN
This question is specific to Vision owners, and maybe Freedom or Nonsuch owners.

My freestanding mast is collecting water, and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. A midship bulkead has some water damage along the bottom half inch, and there are no signs of water incursion anywhere above. Some sleuthing led me to discover the water is coming from INSIDE THE MAST (insert horror movie sound).

TLDR; Should that mast be allowing water in? And if so, is it expected to drain to the bilge through weep holes? Maybe mine are clogged.

Here's the longer take on it:

Shining a bright light down onto the foot of the mast, I noticed a tiny reflection of water between the mast and the shoe (the ring it sits in). Upon inspection with a borscope through the wiring hole about 8" up from the bottom of the mast, I found the base is holding about 2" of water. That's almost a gallon. I also pumped about 2.5 gallons of water out of an adjoining bilge cavity that had been dry about a month before. The boat is on the hard and has its bilge pump disabled because of a cracked hose, so that allowed me to catch this water and observe this problem, which may have otherwise remained a mystery.

I would think there's always going to be some water getting in through the rivets in the halyard exit plates, or around the antenna mount, lights, failing wire boots, etc. And I would expect there to be weep holes at the base of the mast to direct that water into the bilge. But in my case, the water finds its way out of the shoe collar (see photo with paper slipped into gap) and wets the bulkhead before finding its way to bilge. The bulkhead on the right in this pic shows a white beard of water damage where it's been wicking water.

Screenshot from 2024-01-14 16-20-55.png

I'll be unstepping the mast next month for transport. I plan to rewire it and replace lights and antenna, etc. Will investigate the foot better, but really curious about how this is intended to work.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I do not have a boat mentioned. So you can ignore this if you care to.

All boats with hallow masts (i.e. aluminum extruded masts) have the potential to capture moisture or water in the mast. Builders have for years dealt with this issue associated with a hollow mast, but installing weep holes at the base to let the water drain out. On deck stepped masts the water drains out onto the deck and off the boat. On keel stepped mast it is into the bilge.

if water is collecting then debris has accumulated and is blocking the weep holes. Clear the weep holes water will drain and all is good in the world.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The water is coming in through the sheaves on the masts, halyard exit plates, and anywhere the mast is perforated. Water can also come down between the mast and the mast collar. When the mast is down and you rewire it, be sure to put drip loops in any wire that exits the mast for lights, antennas, or instruments, this will help reduce the amount of water entering the mast. All masts have this issue. It is not noticeable on deck stepped masts.

Do the yard a favor before unstepping the mast, loosen the bolt at the mast step and put some penetrating on it. The SS and aluminum can seize together. On the day the mast is coming out, you don't want to waste the yard's time screwing around with that bolt. Try removing it the day before or at least moving it enough to know it will easily come out. Most yards don't like removing unstayed masts, they tend to be very heavy and with out spreaders there is no back up if the lifting sling slips a little.