Thesis survey for boaters!

MollyG

Nov 28, 2016
Pearson 303 Lake Union, Seattle
Hi everyone! My name is Molly, I'm a sailor, prior liveaboard, and graduate student. I'm doing my thesis at the School of Marine and Environmental Affairs at the University of Washington.

I'm interested in the intersection between citizen science and the recreational boating community. While this is geared towards the Puget Sound region, I thought it would be really cool to post here to see if I could get more data and a larger sampling!

Here's the survey link - less than 5 minutes, and you'll really be helping me out! It's totally anonymous (uses google forms and you don't need an account). Thanks in advance!

Recreational Boating & Citizen Science Survey

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Done! All the best with your thesis, Molly. You don't get this far and all of of a sudden flame out. :beer:

BTW, my dock neighbor has a P303. Nice Boat.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Thank you SO much, everyone! This is by far the most traction I've gotten so far and I am beyond grateful. @stickinthemud57 even If I don't publish, I will definitely be creating a written piece with insights from this survey! I graduate in June, so I will post here sometime before then with the final product if you're curious :)
I will look forward to that. Sounds like it would be interesting and enlightening.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Filled out your survey. It would be great if somehow you could publish back the results, at least a summary if the full results are too difficult.

dj

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I sometimes wonder how useful these quizzes are, given that the questions are so general. I took it, and if it helps you that's cool.
That said, I took the on-version of the annual boat usage survey from the Oregon Marine Board, recently. They like to get a snapshot of which facilities and areas are popular.
Their questions never seem to bore down too deeply, and being a sailor rather than a recreational fisher person I am probably not their target audience anyway.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I sometimes wonder how useful these quizzes are, given that the questions are so general. I took it, and if it helps you that's cool.
That said, I took the on-version of the annual boat usage survey from the Oregon Marine Board, recently. They like to get a snapshot of which facilities and areas are popular.
Their questions never seem to bore down too deeply, and being a sailor rather than a recreational fisher person I am probably not their target audience anyway.
Writing surveys is a specialized field. Often survey writers don't take that into account and you get what you describe. An example are questions that can't be answered as the options do not cover the range that can be received. Many other examples but ....

dj

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
Hi everyone! My name is Molly, I'm a sailor, prior liveaboard, and graduate student. I'm doing my thesis at the School of Marine and Environmental Affairs at the University of Washington.

I'm interested in the intersection between citizen science and the recreational boating community. While this is geared towards the Puget Sound region, I thought it would be really cool to post here to see if I could get more data and a larger sampling!

Here's the survey link - less than 5 minutes, and you'll really be helping me out! It's totally anonymous (uses google forms and you don't need an account). Thanks in advance!

Recreational Boating & Citizen Science Survey
Molly,
Best of luck with your research and resulting thesis.

I am not sure what your final topic/question/hypothesis might be and from what additional resources you will draw to explore and form a resulting conclusion, but you may want to explore the Conservation Districts (like the Pierce District that I identified as an example of my "citizen science" volunteer activity) as another resource as you investigate. Their focus on volunteer engagement, with strong training and educational components, could be useful resource and a model for others to emulate.

All the best as you follow you educational path!

VenturEd

Dec 5, 2018
hunter 410 Oxford MD
Did the survey, I was a crew member and marine scientist on the Smithsonian's RV Marsys Resolute and worked with citizen scientists on projects from Maine to the Southern Caribbean. Free labor made a lot of the research we did possible.

Bill