Wema replacement sending unit

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Has anyone replaced this Wema sending unit for their waste tank. If so which unit did you replace it with. I've looked at replacing the whole system with a scad external unit, but I don't want to have to pull new wiring and then there's the cost.

Attachments

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress is the resident expert, so I'll just put that on the table.

I've had to replace a sensor that failed, but couldn't be removed due to inadequate room above the waste tank. I also didn't want to pull additional wires. So I used sensors by this company: Tank Monitors (gobius.se)

They have two kinds - one which is ultrasound, goes on the side of the tank, and just tells you whether fluid or solid is at the level of the sensor or not (Gobius Pro). I used one at the 3/4 level on my waste tank so I would know when it's time to start looking for a pumpout. You can actually install multiple sensors on the same tank and see when it's full to those sensor placements. The sensor is bluetooth and connects to your phone in an app. It also has a sensor that comes with it that lights up as Green or Red, the meaning of which is programmable in the app. It's very accurate, takes VERY little power, and only needs power - so the wires you have in place to power the WEMA sensor are sufficient.

The second sensor type (Gobius C) is micro radar and sits on the top of the tank and gives you continuous readings on a scale. It also requires only power leads and also goes via bluetooth to an app on your phone. You can buy a version which will interface with your NMEA 2000 network and show up wherever you want (e.g. chartplotter, etc.) I'm using this now on my fuel tank, whose sender failed.

They're not particularly cheap (the micro radar sensor is ~$350) but very reliable, accurate, and SUPER easy to install. Both versions go on the outside of the tank, so you can leave the old, dead WEMA sensor in place and not mess with it. If you don't need NMEA 2000 compatibility you can find some deals on the older version of the Gobius C online at many of the go-to chandleries.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
The Globius pro looks like exactly what I want. I just needed something to tell me when my tank is getting near full. Plus its carried by Canadian chandleyr's. Thanks