Baby Stay

Oct 5, 2023
Sirius 22 Rockport, TX
I have recently purchased a Sirius 22. It's a nice little boat as far as I can see. However, being a racer at heart and planning to race this boat I am concerned about the baby stay. My question is, is the baby stay actually functional? It is obviously a barrier to quick tacks.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sailboatdata.com doesn't show that boat with a baby stay'
The baby stay may have been installed by a previous owner. Or maybe we have a terminology mis-communication.
In any event it's hard to imagine a 22' boat that needs a baby stay. If there is no reinforcement of the deck where the stay is on the foredeck I would doubt its value. Reinforcement could be a wire connecting with the hull, or maybe a post of some sort. Or there could be a extra deck beam atwartships in that area.
My guess is that it is un-reenforced, may not even have a backing plate (Just washers). In that case I would conclude that it is not original and probably unnecessary.

Oct 5, 2023
Sirius 22 Rockport, TX
I tend to agree. I can’t imagine this boat’s mast inverting considering it doesn’t have a backstay adjuster as standard equipment. Thanks

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Sailboatdata.com doesn't show that boat with a baby stay'
The line drawing on Sailboatdata.com clearly shows a baby stay for this boat. There are lower aft shrouds but no forward lower shrouds. Most likely the single babystay is used in instead of the having a pair of lower forward shrouds.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have great respect for Ted but I missed that on the sailboatdata.com. To me, the diagram looks like the stay is the port lower.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Here's a YouTube video showing the babystay for that boat. It can be seen at minute 1:26 and beyond.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have recently purchased a Sirius 22. It's a nice little boat as far as I can see. However, being a racer at heart and planning to race this boat I am concerned about the baby stay. My question is, is the baby stay actually functional? It is obviously a barrier to quick tacks.
Leave it alone. It's part of the mast's lower shroud/stay system. You need to be able to tune the rig properly so you need a counteracting force to the aft lowers. If you're going to let the wire interfere with your tacking, then spend some time on your sail handling technique. No problem. I can suggest a few things, but I'm confident you probably already know them. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't make any changes before sailing it for a while. You can always install a roller on the wire if your crew struggles.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you examine the shroud design symmetry it provides triangular support to maintain the mast in column. You have two side shrouds each side.

One shroud runs from the deck to near the mast head. The shroud is attached to the deck behind the mast base (no spreader mid mast). These are balanced with the fore and aft stays at the bow and the stern.

The second shroud terminates mid mast and is secured to the deck behind the mast base.

Despite the tacking aggravation the baby stay was installed to keep the mast in column as it provides triangular stability against the forces generated by the sails.

1705145511668.jpeg

Of note for a racer, the fore sail is the power on this boat. It is a mast head rig.
S.A. Fore:106.25 ft² / 9.87 m²
S.A. Main:99.00 ft² / 9.20 m²

The baby stay and side shrouds may need reinforcement on the deck if you intend to race the boat hard. You may find a piece of pvc pipe could act as a roller, on the baby, to assist with your tacking. Using a long single jib sheet and tying your jib sheets to the clue with a cow hitch in the middle of the sheet will minimize the clue catching on the baby stay as you whip your boat and crew threw the tack.
1705146194673.jpeg

good luck.

Nov 18, 2015
Sirius 21 Oyster Bay, NY
My understanding about the baby stay was that it's purpose was related to stepping and un-stepping the mast. The problem is I can not remember where I got this info or how true it is. We kept it attached, cause why not. I will say that the clew of the genoa would sometimes snag on it while tacking. We were not racing so all it involved was having by friend hold my drink while I went forward to free it.