Mast tabernacle

Oct 16, 2019
Grampian 26 Fifty Point Stoney Creek
There are a lot of reasons for having a trailer sailer. The first boat I bought took too long to get in the water and go sailing. I was not able to go down to the water and go out for an evening sail so I put the boat in the water at the marina. I then decided that I was paying for a slip I may as well have a bigger boat so I sold it and bought a Grampian 26 with standing headroom and a proper head.
Two years ago I bought a Siren 17 to extend my sailing season and so that I could sail in far off places. Last year we towed it from Hamilton ON to Nova Scotia and to Lake Superior. The Siren is too small and tender so late last year I bought Sandpiper 565.
The easiest boat to rig and sail is a Compact Suncat that has a hinged mast above the boom so you just swing the mast up and the sail is already on the boom.
I have a tabernacle in my Siren and I want to build one for the Sandpiper. It will be high enough that the boom can be left on the tabernacle with sail on it.
Has anyone made a tabernacle for their boat?
20231004_182511_HDR_(1).jpg

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
I haven't made a tabernacle but I think one could speed the rigging process of some trailerables. I have in mind a tabernacle with an integral roller, so that the mast can be positioned longitudinally once it's dropped.

Oct 16, 2019
Grampian 26 Fifty Point Stoney Creek
I leave the mast in the tabernacle and put a red flag on the end of the mast sticking out past the boat.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
My mast only extends forward beyond the bow and it does not extend beyond the stern so no red flag is necessary.