Polycarbonate Bimini Window

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Has anyone used polycarbonate for their bimini window? My front window is currently stratoglass. I want some material that can been seen thru without wrinkles and sheds rain better. I don't roll it up and it can be stiff. I am thinking of using Tuffak/Makrolon VR 40Mil and wondering if it would work but I am not certain what thickness to use. Can it be sewn in with my Sailrite machine? Any advice would be appreciated.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We had Makrolon dodger windows and were very pleased with them. They eventually got hazy and couldn’t be polished for restoration the way strataglass can, but until then the optical clarity was excellent. We replaced them with strataglass but that has noticeably more distortion wherever it bends. When the strataglass eventually wears out I think we’ll go back to Makrolon. Our canvas guy said it would be a little cheaper anyway. I don’t know the exact thickness of what we had originally, but it looked stitched into the sunbrella basically the same way strataglass does.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We have a uv poly on our dodger. Great stuff with great visibility. use strata on the enclosure sides.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
We had Makrolon dodger windows and were very pleased with them. They eventually got hazy and couldn’t be polished for restoration the way strataglass can, but until then the optical clarity was excellent. We replaced them with strataglass but that has noticeably more distortion wherever it bends. When the strataglass eventually wears out I think we’ll go back to Makrolon. Our canvas guy said it would be a little cheaper anyway. I don’t know the exact thickness of what we had originally, but it looked stitched into the sunbrella basically the same way strataglass does.
Thank you for the information. The improved Optical clarity is just what I am looking for. Was the haze due to sun exposure? Did it resist scratching?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
We have a uv poly on our dodger. Great stuff with great visibility. use strata on the enclosure sides.
The only place i want to use the poly is the center window in the dodger. The sides for the dodger and enclosure are strata now.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Chemists can't help having a pet peeve over "poly."
  • Polycarbonate (Makralon is a brand name)
  • Polyvinyl chloride, vinyl, or PVC (Strataglass is a brand name)
Both have coatings to improve weathering.

---

The weakness of polycarbonate is poor UV resistance and less UV screening than PVC for a similar thickness, and less abrasion resistance. You must be VERY careful with cleaning. But it is nice when new.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Was the haze due to sun exposure? Did it resist scratching?
We didn’t have any real problems with scratching. The haze seemed to be deterioration of a coating like what thinwater mentioned, either from UV or overspray from deck cleaning. We replaced the front 3 panels after about 7 years. We still have the original side panels after 10 years, but they aren’t very clear anymore.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've always though the holy grail of dodger design would be to have window segments that snapped/Velcro/something in and out for easy replacement. Zippers leak. It can be done, I'm sure, but the complexity makes the original build more expensive, heavier, and probably more prone to distortion. So not practical. Still, we can dream.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
We have Makralon AR2 which has anti-scratch anti-UV coating on both sides. After five seasons still clear and good optics.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
We have Makralon AR2 which has anti-scratch anti-UV coating on both sides. After five seasons still clear and good optics.
Do you know what thickness it is?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Has anyone here sewn in a polycarbonate dodger window? Would a Sailrite machine be capable. What thread and needle would work the best?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Has anyone here sewn in a polycarbonate dodger window? Would a Sailrite machine be capable. What thread and needle would work the best?
Contact sailrite, but pretty sure the answer is yes - their machine can sew it. I'd definitely ask them the correct thread and needle.

dj

Aug 9, 2023
Cal 29 Shilshole
Hello All,
I'm having a new dodger made, and have decided to go with the polycarbonate 60 mil for the windows. I'm considering getting sunbrella covers for the windows, but it's another $500 expense. I obviously want to protect my investment, but I also don't want to throw money away that's not well spent. Your experiences and opinions?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I obviously want to protect my investment, but I also don't want to throw money away that's not well spent.
I look at the situation. I want the window to be clear when I’m using the boat. Out of 365 days of Sun, wind and rain how many days will the boat be in use and how many days will the boat be sitting still?
If sitting is greater than sailing then window covers are a good investment.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know the challenge. My boat has been sitting for about 14 months while I did the engine rebuild. 2024 is going to be a change year.