Classic wooden boat owners

Jan 1, 2024
wooden one off 42’ gaff yawl Alexander Archilpelago
Really nobody else out there smart enough to still own a wooden boat…any pics of classic east coast design sailboats out there?

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Yes, I am a wooden boat lover, but at arms length.
All respect to those who, sail and maintain those lovely ladies.
When I was a young silly hippee I had a ferro concrete boat with a hull very similar to Valiant.
Now that I am old a still silly I have a small plastic boat.
All the best.
gary

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I love wooden boats for a number of reasons.
  • I grew up around them
  • They usually have the sublime beauty of classic lines.
  • They are built and repaired with materials most of us understand and have access to.

I did live aboard a wooden boat with my family when I was 10 to 14 years old, in the mid-1970s.
I currently own a wooden Windmill.
1000002729.jpg

However, were I to move aboard again, I would look seriously at steel, but wood is not a bad material at all.

-Will

Jan 1, 2024
What kind of boat did you live on when you were younger Will?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'd imagine there are a number of us that are wooden boat lovers. But most have moved to another material for practical reasons.

One thing I'll add in, wooden boats seem to go through the water in a way other materials don't. Can't really explain it, but I can sure feel it...

I've done a fair amount of work with wooden boats in the past. Restored a couple small boats. I used to make tools for wooden boat builders back when I was actively blacksmithing.

I love the look and feel of wooden boats, I just don't want to take the time to keep one in top shape so I have a plastic boat with teak decks and a wooden interior. Even with this boat I have a lot of wood on the outside that needs maintenance....

dj

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
When fiberglass boats came into the picture people used to say they never saw a hundred year old fiberglass boat.:) I for one would love another wooden boat. I'm too damn old to keep one up now but if I had the means and years I would love to have another one. In the past I have restored a 15ft Lyman and a Windmill, built a Windmill and Optimist Pram (Thank you Clark Mills), rebuilt 2 Class A/B outboard race boats. Learned to sail on an old wooden Lightning. I appreciate those who keep the tradition going. Hopefully, wooden boats will never stop being built and old ones will be restored. Good on you.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Some of my early sailing days were spent on a plywood built Windmill in San Diego bay.

During our visit on St Lucia @dLj introduced me to an interesting couple, who while sailing the world came across a Gauntlet that had experienced hard times. Found on the rocks, her owner missing, she was raised and brought to Rodney Bay. She is being lovingly treated to a full restoration.

1704538720457.jpeg

“GAUNTLET” 1934, TAKEN BY BEKEN OF COWES

Expectations are she will again participate in a Caribbean Classic race where she once won her class, then be returned to the UK to be enjoyed.

Jan 1, 2024
Will who made the three master schooner? Is that a Hershcoff design Marco Polo by chance?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You have been slammed north of the 50th parallel. With a serious Yukon High forming. I see you and Canada will be sharing the cold with us in the Puget Sound in just a few days. It is a feeling that this is being overly friendly.

Jan 1, 2024
You have been slammed north of the 50th parallel. With a serious Yukon High forming. I see you and Canada will be sharing the cold with us in the Puget Sound in gust a few days. It is a feeling that this is being overly friendly.
It was 24 degrees when I pulled into the harbor at 9 tonight, no wonder I was feeling a little wind burned on my face

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
You have been slammed north of the 50th parallel. With a serious Yukon High forming. I see you and Canada will be sharing the cold with us in the Puget Sound in just a few days. It is a feeling that this is being overly friendly.
"Us in Puget Sound"? I could have sworn you were in Martinique...

dj

• Ha