If H260 is suspended in air, or frozen, what happens?

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Here by Houston the Clear Lake bay when north wind hits about 3 days each winter month, the water drops from 6ft in edge of bay to 1ft. I've always loosened dock ropes to match, but someday I may be away, and like many owners then my boat is suspended by 4 ropes hanging a bit on stretched ropes. In some cases w strong ropes the boats are 100% in the air if no deep keel. On a few boats a rope snaps or cleat is ripped from fiberglass deck, but 99% of boats survive. W deep keels the keel hits fast and helps....

BUT W HUNTER 260 SUSPENDED WILL THE WATER BALLAST LEAK OUT AND THEN IN DAY LEAK BACK IN? There are 2 H26s here too and they seem fine, but this situation does happen several times a winter so I wanted to ask. I've put my boat in extra shallow berth, so it grounds faster I'm hoping.. I'm sure Hunter designed for this ..

NEXT ISSUE IS FREEZING. One day I may move home to Minnesota on Mississippi River at spot downstream from nuke plant where water don't freeze but it's Minnesota so negative 10 Fahrenheit. If no heat maybe the inside air freezes the water ballast from inside which is bad. BUT IF INSIDE AIR IS HEATED and kept at say 50F I would bet this'll keep ballast unfrozen, since the water is above freezing LEAVING just a bit of cold outside air to influence the water ballast temp. Does anyone know of anyone w water ballast boats in Midwest winters in water. Minnesota is same winter as Anchorage and Moscow so I know this is extreme case .. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I may be away, and like many owners then my boat is suspended by 4 ropes hanging a bit on stretched ropes. In some cases w strong ropes the boats are 100% in the air if no deep keel. On a few boats a rope snaps or cleat is ripped from fiberglass deck, but 99% of boats survive.
Nothing about that sounds good for the boat. Cleats are not meant to hold the weight of the boat. A 5’ tidal swing is certainly more than lake sailors are used to, but not that uncommon in tidal waters. I’d recommend looking for a better dock line arrangement that keeps the boat within the bounds of the slip at high water without hanging it at low water. That might mean having two sets of dock lines rigged - one you use when you’re at the boat and want it perfectly positioned, and one that you use when you’re away to give the boat more room. For the “away” lines I’d recommend placing them lower on pilings if possible to split the difference between high and low water. Also look for ways to make them longer runs so the angles don’t change as dramatically when the water drops - options like crossing stern lines and using spring lines can help with that.

I don’t know about how to best winterize and freeze proof the water ballast. Letting the boat stay in the water would be a good start. I would not try to leave a heater onboard to keep the cabin warm when the boat’s unattended. That just invites trouble with the heater itself or the cords or connections powering it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If there is any chance of a long deep freeze the water ballast should be drain and the valves left open. Even with the Nuke plant upstream the boat will be better off on the hard and properly winterized. Nuke plants have been known to shut down.

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
A 5’ tidal swing is certainly more than lake sailors are used to, but not that uncommon in tidal waters.
Looking at a map, it appears Clear Lake is open to Galveston Bay which is open to the Gulf of Mexico and is considered to be brackish water. I think that explains the tidal shift in a lake.

My marina normally has 3 to 4' shift between high and low tide. I found it to be a pain in the neck when I rented a slip on a fixed finger pier. My solution. I moved into a full floating pier in the same marina. Funny thing is the difference in price was +$10.00. Now the pier and Prometheus same at the same height.

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
If there is any chance of a long deep freeze the water ballast should be drain and the valves left open. Even with the Nuke plant upstream the boat will be better off on the hard and properly winterized. Nuke plants have been known to shut down.
Now there's a prescient observation! I'm assuming OP is looking to dock at Red Wing near the Prairie Island nuclear plant. And it looks like the plant is currently down, which is subjecting the normally free flowing nearby river to freezing. That said, it was 50 degrees this week so it's currently open water anyway.
Freezing consequences for Mississippi River as nuclear units down (yahoo.com)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd empty the ballast tanks and pour a healthy amount of antifreeze in there to be on the safe side. Most marina's close down for the winter in the midwest so you'll most likely have to put it on the hard anyways

Have you considered some heavy duty ratchet straps or slings that go under the boat if you are intent on suspending it?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not really, just 50 years of living in the shadow of 3 nuke plants. ;)
I wondered why you have that unique glow about you ;)

To the OP, if you have to leave the boat in that somewhat precarious situation, I would drain the water ballast as best you can to prevent freeze damage (is there any way to add some AF to the tank after it is drained and the below the water line valve is closed?). It also reduces weight should the boat end up suspended by the mooring lines.

Keep the lines as loose as possible, and maybe have extra long lines also set up in case the shorter ones fail under the weight of the boat. Unfortunately, not much you can do to protect the cleats.

Greg

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
This Red Wing spot on river w warming from power planet is only place in MN where usually boats can be left in thru cold winter.. usually about 20 boats left in.. Hmmmmm actually other places you can leave in, just gotta bubble air to bring up warm deep water, OR GET STEEL HULL!

Pulling boat means one can't use it 5 months so come on that sucks, we need fun in Minnesota and it's worth risking a boat rather than risk depression!!!! ... Sound of ice forming overnight is cool!!! I did have trouble one December when around river bend an ice dam formed, ramming did little, then haha a tug came and ice broke path and easily got thru. River freezes a bit to St Louis, Keokuk Iowa is the official thick ice point, Lake Pepin south of St Paul due to slow water is last place to thaw in MN usually by April.

SALT INTO BALLAST WATER??? If boat is left in water at dock for fun, it is hard to drain water ballast.... maybe DUMP SALT into ballast water thru ballast top hole 100 kg of salt???? To resist freezing in winter. A little salt drops freezing 5 degrees maybe more so it's a salty slurry would get to 15?? Ha

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Davenport

If the hunter is out of the water, there should be no water in the tank. It only adds an extra 2000 lbs even if it’s own trailer. Otherwise, the hull will indent the hull permanently and in some cases, it has destroyed the integrity of the water ballast tank lid. Never use line to pick up the hull or the above mentioned damage will happen and the line may also slip allowing the boat hit on the ground. I have seen this occur as well. As for strap lines holding the boat up in a lift, consider doing this on a temporary basis only; otherwise, lower it onto boat stands. I suggest four stands each side.

As for lines holding the boat up suspended in the air tied to the cleats, it will rip the cleats off. There are only aluminum plates encapsulated in the fiberglass to that are drilled and tapped which work but will never hold the boat up out of the water which are not intended for that purpose. There are rubber snubbers attached in dock lines with extra line allowed for extending the dock line.

As for the hunter 26 and 260 hulls and centerboard configurations, they are all the same. Suggest you talking with those two 26 owners for suggestions that you mentioned about.

Never leave any heater on when the boat is left unattended as it is a major safety issue. Check the marina regulations as many leases cover that issue.

I wouldn’t recommend the centerboard in any soil as it could damage the top of the centerboard housing and/or the centerboard itself.
You asked about the water ballast tank freezing. It depends. If the water begins to freeze up around you, it is best to remove the boat out of the water back onto the trailer with the vent open. At Smith Mountain lake near Roanoke, VA which is surrounded by mountains, I have at times saw ice in some coves but the lake did not freeze. Sometimes at nights it really got cold but warmed up in the day. The cabin usually warmed up as a result which helped. My recommendation was to leave the boats in the water Adding salt or non toxic anti freeze to the tank are not recommended.

Hope this helps. You did ask some good questions.

• Helpful
Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 260 Kemah
Never use lines to lift a h26 or h260? What if dont have trailer????????????? Have the marina SUPER SLOWLY lift to let water drain? But these are solid boats so probably hard to break.