Need info on my Catalina 22 trailer

Jan 1, 2019
Catalina 25 Granite Bay
Hoping someone can help me! I got a 1972 Catalina 22 on a trailer. I live in California and the lady whose husband passed away didn't have any paperwork or license on the trailer. DMV told me I had to take it to the CHP office to have them stamp a new number before I could put it in my name. Here's the problem . The CHP officer and I couldn't find a vin number on it. I know Catalina had 1 company to make their trailers in the 70's and I can't find a name anywhere. Do you guys know who this company was? Looking at other Catalina 22 trailers I'm not finding any vin numbers on them. Any help would be most helpful!
Thanks, Monte

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I ran into a similar problem with a trailer from South Carolina many years ago. I was living in Virginia and according to the seller, SC did not require titles for trailers of that vintage. The VA DMV did not agree and said I needed the original title to put it in my name. The kind lady at the DMV then pulled me aside and suggested that I paint over any manufacturer's markings and bring it back and apply for a homemade title.

Here is the process for California

Since CA allows "modified" I think you could put on new lights, a new hitch, a new coat of paint .... maybe new tires and then claim it is a modified trailer... or go all in as a homemade job.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I had a Catalina 22 in the very early 70's. It came with a Trail-Rite trailer made in Santa Ana California. I think they are now out of business though. The VIN was on a thin plate that could very easily be missing after all these years.

If you are a AAA member I would see if they have any advice. They can sometimes be more helpful than the DMV.