PNW flooding, terrible..

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Been seeing news reports of your storms, hope you guys are o.k. ..

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Isn't rain in the PNW a "Dog bites man" story?
I am aware that you've had some major storms so I do hope you all are OK.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
It' s been quite... a year... and it's not over.
In February we had a major ice storm in Portland. Lots of large tree limbs down in our yard. Then in June we set records for heat - three days of 115 degrees. That stunted a lot of trees and shrubs and killed some.
This recent rain and wind event was not too bad here, but I believe that they are still rescuing the 275 people stranded on a hi way in BC, due to multiple mud and rock slides.
We do take the rain for granted most years, but I notice that over half of our state is still in a drought condition.
Much much worse in California, tho.

Thanks for the concern!

At least we mostly avoid tornados and larger typhoons..... :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@FastOlson pretty much summed it up. We have had weather this year.
I posted a forecast earlier about the Pineapple Express which has brought the rain being reported in the news.

This is a lot of water for some, but it is not an abnormal occurrence here in the PacificNW. When I first moved to Oregon in 1973, the rain started in early November and continued for 40 days and 40 nights. At coffee one morning my waitress asked if I was finished building my ark.

We are all good. The flooding has been in NW Washington and BC Canada. The summer was dry so rain was on the wish list. We just need to be careful. This year our wish was granted just a little too much.

You Vancouver / North Puget Sounds sailors take care and be safe. Any one with a Koi pond watch for high water. Makes it easier for the raccoons to get your fish.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
We've had a little bit of everything... we actually had a tornado warning last week, folks in some areas received it in error, but they had seen rotation in a heavy rain storm and it was legit for Kitsap County. A lot of wind and rain all weekend and on Monday. The wind died down here relatively early in the afternoon. But we finished it off with a hail storm. Barbara and I were just getting back to the marina, and we dashed down to the boat and kind of half watched the splashes in the water around us, we didn't think too much about it. Then we saw this this morning. At least we don't have scorpions to wash out of their burrows!

tempImageom6Eun.jpg
tempImageLuAR3k.jpg

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Every town on the upper Skagit and Nooksack rivers are basically flooded out and some evacuated. The lower towns experienced near historic flooding. Along with flooding, there are a lot of trees down and landslides have closed I-5. We had gusts to 75mph which almost blew an eighteen wheeler off Deception Pass bridge. There are numerous power outages that won’t be fixed for days. Baker Lake dam has water rushing over it. I don’t remember seeing that before. There were a few dikes in danger of breaking but did not. Also same issues in British Columbia. This pretty much happens yearly, but not this bad.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just love the rain. No issues, just hunker down and see it out. Pretty normal for this time of the year. Thank you for your concern.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don't you find 6 inches in 24 hours to be just a mite excessive :yikes: ?
I believe that there has been a significant difference in the amount of rainfall south of the border compared to those of us north of it.

192 mm on the Malahat from Saturday (late) to Monday (early). A month of rain in two days! The Malahat is the essentially only route into Victoria from those anywhere north of it on the Island.

100mm = 3.94 inches. For those who can't find conversion tables on the internet!!! :)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
On Whidbey the problems with this storm was mostly wind.
We had a semi truck blow over on Deception Pass bridge and it was only saved from the 200' drop by the strength of the guardrail.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don't you find 6 inches in 24 hours to be just a mite excessive
It is a bit much in my area. Would equate to 12 feet of water in the creeks near the house. Right a flood stage.
I agree that he Hawaii Pineapple Express took aim on BC... Did you guys make the Hawaiian Islands unhappy?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I think BC got hit a lot harder than we did. There are a lot of micro climates in this region, and a lot of steering, funneling, and lifting geographical features. Both individual weather events and broader climate can vary significantly in a relatively short distance. The county where I live gets significantly more rain in the southern portion than in the north. There is a problem with relying on official reports and numbers, because there are relatively few locations which represent the “official” weather record for a broad area. Here’s a link to a Reuters Canada photo gallery with some amazing photos, I know that I’ve never seen anyone towing cattle with a jet ski before.

MFD

Jun 23, 2016
Hunter 41DS Seattle
Seems we have more of that 'california weather' up here nowadays. What is it called, the four seasons? Fires, floods, earthquakes, and riots? Or at least three out of four. Pardon the dangling comma :)

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Well we get fires, floods (sometimes at the same time) and earthquakes. We usually get a big quake every 20-25 years and the last one was in 2001 so we are due… oh fun… but the riots are not a popular past time here. We just like to kick the police out of their office and pretend everything is roses.

As for the weather, today was some serious rain in my corner of the woods… er… asphalt… I wish I lived in the woods. But oh well. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid 60’s and sunny. Welcome to the PNW. Who knows it may snow next week… it happened last month!