SAE 2-pin vs MC4?

Sep 13, 2021
Catalina Capri 26 280 Lake Jacomo
I found this post in my search for information about a simple solar setup.

This sounds close to what I'm trying to do. I like the idea of using the SAE 2-pin cable because that seems easier and simpler. But, is it okay to use those and leave them exposed in the cockpit while I'm away from the boat during the week?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Really, you can do anything you want, but then there is the ABYC you might have to contend with. Even tie the two wires together and cover it with heatshrink tubing. However, the reason for the MC4 was to prevent you (an understood you, not you personally) connecting (+) to (-) which can happen very easily. But if you want to use a different type of connector then go for it. Just keep the contacts protected so no corrosion get into the contact and setup of some kind of resistance. Sometimes easy and simple is NOT the correct solution.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The SAE connector is also polarized, so no problem there. Most of them have covers to keep them clean when disconnected.

You really don't need to fuse the panels, but you do need to fuse the controller. Standard boat rules apply: fuse the wire, close to battery, etc..

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I have used SAE 2-pins for decades. Yes, they are polarized. You will need to keep them filled with grease, which is easy. The are available in both wire-to-wire and bulkhead versions. Pretty common on RV solar. I use one for my tiller pilot, after the factory plug died.

They have been the standard for charging motor cycles and other uses for ~ 50 years because they work. Not as waterproof, but more compact.

Sep 13, 2021
I have used SAE 2-pins for decades. Yes, they are polarized. You will need to keep them filled with grease, which is easy. The are available in both wire-to-wire and bulkhead versions. Pretty common on RV solar. I use one for my tiller pilot, after the factory plug died.

They have been the standard for charging motor cycles and other uses for ~ 50 years because they work. Not as waterproof, but more compact.
Thanks!

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Really, you can do anything you want, but then there is the ABYC you might have to contend with. Even tie the two wires together and cover it with heatshrink tubing. However, the reason for the MC4 was to prevent you (an understood you, not you personally) connecting (+) to (-) which can happen very easily. But if you want to use a different type of connector then go for it. Just keep the contacts protected so no corrosion get into the contact and setup of some kind of resistance. Sometimes easy and simple is NOT the correct solution.
@Brian D I'll disagree with you on the reason for MC4. The main reason was the high voltage attained when PV panels were put into series on home and commercial PV panel installations. You are correct on polarity issue. This is why they have a 600 volt rating and safety interlocks. I've installed systems that are over 400 volts at the end. In a 12-24 volt system get a MC4 extension and cut it in half to connect to the MC4 on the panel and then to whatever connector you want to use. Read the panel warranty, if you cut the MC4 from the end of the panel, warranty is void.

Sep 13, 2021
@Brian D I'll disagree with you on the reason for MC4. The main reason was the high voltage attained when PV panels were put into series on home and commercial PV panel installations. You are correct on polarity issue. This is why they have a 600 volt rating and safety interlocks. I've installed systems that are over 400 volts at the end. In a 12-24 volt system get a MC4 extension and cut it in half to connect to the MC4 on the panel and then to whatever connector you want to use. Read the panel warranty, if you cut the MC4 from the end of the panel, warranty is void.
Cutting an extension in half is brilliant! Can’t believe I didn’t think of that. The panel I’m looking at (the Renogy 30watt) does not come with MC4 connectors. It’s just bare leads. But I could buy a pair of extensions and cut them both in half and use butt connectors to join them.

Feb 17, 2006
My concern is this, if the connectors are swapped out for non OEM connectors and there is a fire, and, if the investigation finds that the fire was caused by non OEM connectors on the solar panels, then, that owner will be liable for damage done to other vessels/marina facilities.The insurance company may not pay. That is all I am saying. However, like I said in the beginning, the OP can do anything they want. I think MC4s are a PITA and I too do not like them, but they came with my panel and that is the end of that. JMHO

Sep 13, 2021
My concern is this, if the connectors are swapped out for non OEM connectors and there is a fire, and, if the investigation finds that the fire was caused by non OEM connectors on the solar panels, then, that owner will be liable for damage done to other vessels/marina facilities.The insurance company may not pay. That is all I am saying. However, like I said in the beginning, the OP can do anything they want. I think MC4s are a PITA and I too do not like them, but they came with my panel and that is the end of that. JMHO
A lot of the smaller panels I'm seeing do not come with connectors, which is why I'm researching my options. For example, this one:

Feb 17, 2006
Understood, but you could still be held liable. Just saying.