Tabbing cracked on the travel trailer just now

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
Hey all--
Hunter 27; it's the tabbing on the water tank port side v berth.
Doesn't look structural (but concern it might be?) I went to the office and let them know. GM is going to take a look.

Back in stands the crack is now closed up.

Launch? Get them to fix?
D3F638E1-4F76-4883-83B3-629220764192.jpeg

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tabbing is usually structural, it keeps the parts tied together. Is this the model with water ballast? If so is this the ballast tank?

Fixing it would be a goo idea.

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
Tabbing is usually structural, it keeps the parts tied together. Is this the model with water ballast? If so is this the ballast tank?

Fixing it would be a goo idea.
Its the fresh water tank, that I don't use; a triangle that that makes the v berth bed

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
That area of a boat is a relatively high stress area. Think about the times you crashed over a wave. It should be fixed.
Yep thanks for the reply. I made a no-go a little while ago, I'd much rather keep my crew today safe.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I wonder how the Marina will respond.

Were the slings placed correctly? Are there marks so the crew knows where to place them?

Certainly expect them to make it might if they were at fault, but not sure how they were negligent...sometimes, sh!t just happens.

Greg

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
I wonder how the Marina will respond.

Were the slings placed correctly? Are there marks so the crew knows where to place them?

Certainly expect them to make it might if they were at fault, but not sure how they were negligent...sometimes, sh!t just happens.

Greg
the GM was very cool, saying tabbing pops here and there on older boats. I'll post some shots of her on the hydraulic trailer. Said he would have his fiberglass guy look at it and get back to me. I understand he's busy as he'll right now though, that's my worry

Jan 3, 2020
Hunter 27 Hoboken
the GM was very cool, saying tabbing pops here and there on older boats. I'll post some shots of her on the hydraulic trailer. Said he would have his fiberglass guy look at it and get back to me. I understand he's busy as he'll right now though, that's my worry
4FAA1664-5A93-421B-B64F-5276A557781A.jpeg

Port side is where it cracked, the boats off kilter and it's low. I was on the boat when they picked her up.
999E2DBC-0604-493C-9957-D9420D3E30FE.jpeg

This pad is forward of the bulkhead and directly ahead of the athwartship aft wall of the tank

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The pads aren't perfect, but they are close enough. It is always best to pick boats up at the strongest points which is under the bulkheads.

I suspect the tabbing had a weak bond from the get go, and it is only now that it finally showed up.

Many marinas have stickers placed on boats that show the lift points. You might want to consider putting them on your boat.

Good luck. Hope things work out OK between you and the marina.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
View attachment 193828
Port side is where it cracked, the boats off kilter and it's low. I was on the boat when they picked her up.
View attachment 193829
This pad is forward of the bulkhead and directly ahead of the athwartship aft wall of the tank
Where is the keel support? There should be a strap under the keel that is pinned to the trailer frame to take the weight of the boat. The pads only stabilize the boat and don't lift it. You can see the holes in the frame of the trailer for the beams that would support the keel of a power boat, or the wing keel of a boat like mine, but I don't see the pins that should be on the top of the frame to accept a strap.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
View attachment 193828
View attachment 193829
You can see in this old picture of my first sail boat, an O'Day 23, that there is a beam supporting the keel, and the pads barely touch the hull.
Ouida 012.jpg