Lazy jacks diameter

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everyone, still working hard on the boat, today I replaced a halyard ( main)
And I removed the old lazy jacks, the rope is all crudded and no good anymore, it’s so rotted that I can’t even get a measurement to replace it. So what size ropes would be needed for a lazy jack on a 26footer ?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
¼" or 5/16" will be large enough if you go with plain Dacron lines. A little smaller if you go with something like dyneema. The lazy jacks don't take much of a load. On my 36' boat, I have 5/16" line. In this application the size is mostly about how easy it is to handle.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hey everyone, still working hard on the boat, today I replaced a halyard ( main)
And I removed the old lazy jacks, the rope is all crudded and no good anymore, it’s so rotted that I can’t even get a measurement to replace it. So what size ropes would be needed for a lazy jack on a 26footer ?
Take a read of this thread for some solid ideas.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here are 2 articles about Lazyjacks. I suspect 1/4" would serve you purpose adequately. It is not like you have 47sq m of main sail weigh in at 65kg.

A Mainsail on a typical Catalina 30 would weigh in around 15kg. 1/4" diameter line can easily capture it on the boom.

Aug 17, 2013
So if ¼” is good enough for a 30ft boat would 3/16” be good enough for a 26ft boat or should I just go with ¼”

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Go with ¼" it will be easier to handle and the cost difference will be negligible. Again, it is not about strength as it is about ease of handling. You could probably go with some 20 lb test monofilament fishing line, but that would hard on the hand!

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I don’t see the system as needing much strength unless you aren’t using a topping lift or boomkicker type device. If you forgot to attach the topping lift for example all the weight of the sail, boom and possibly a person leaning on the boom would be held up with the lazy jack system. Not good :)

From my experience the value is to have the lines in the right place so the sail doesn’t get hung up on any part. Ideally uncleat the halyard and the entire sail falls neatly on the boom, doesn’t block your view or catch much wind and stays put until you have time to tidy it up. The system should also be able to be pulled out of the way for hoisting the sail, can’t count the number of times I’ve had a batten catch under a lazy jack line before I figured out that you only need the lazy jack system to drop the sail ;)

Aug 17, 2013
ok so I went with ¼" started splicing some eyes, or at least tried to
I got the Samson fid kit, using the ¼" fid I can't get it to go through to pass the core, I can't get the core to hold strongly to the fid
using tape only makes it too thick to pass so I can pas the fid but when I get to the taped part, it doesn't hold and let's go.
I successfully made some eyes on bigger rope but the ¼" doesn't like me, so now I have 100' of rope and I can't do nothing with it

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
On BlueJ (First 260) we use 4mm dyneema and some small low friction rings spliced on. The whole set up is very strong, almost invisible, and never in the way. We used to pull it forward for racing, but we've stopped doing that. I think the whole setup cost 30 bucks.

BFC90CC8-D420-4CED-A67B-6BADE9B0C9E7.jpeg

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
On BlueJ (First 260) we use 4mm dyneema and some small low friction rings spliced on. The whole set up is very strong, almost invisible, and never in the way. We used to pull it forward for racing, but we've stopped doing that. I think the whole setup cost 30 bucks.

View attachment 185553
Looks like they're attached to the spreaders? Seems like that would help keep them out of the way. Any concerns with loading spreaders like that?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Looks like they're attached to the spreaders? Seems like that would help keep them out of the way. Any concerns with loading spreaders like that?
they are, it does, and not really.

lots of new boats with jacks as standard equipment do this. As noted in the link above, using a strap and d-ring wrapped around from the top would make it even stronger. As it is, this is very strong.

Aug 17, 2013
that was an easy project, why didn't I think about sewing them in the first place. pics to come......in Spring when I get the stick up.
cost of rope 22$
splicing fid kit 66$ (probably going to return them)
clips and blocks free, used the old ones

not bad, finally a "cheap" boat project

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
they are, it does, and not really.

lots of new boats with jacks as standard equipment do this. As noted in the link above, using a strap and d-ring wrapped around from the top would make it even stronger. As it is, this is very strong.
I'll keep that in mind in case I decide to make some. I trailer my boat and have shied away from lazyjacks as they'd be one more thing to set up and take down, and my main is small enough that it isn't too hard to handle.