SEA WATER PUMP QUESTION

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
I need to install a sea water pump for the galley, i would like one with the pressure sensor so it will work and shut down when pressure is reach, do the fresh water pump will work ? or they will destroy in a short time because of the salt water.? I can use the pump for my a/c i even have the purge valve very close to the sink, but what can i install so it will shut down when the pressure is up ?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I think your best bet is to get a wash down pump. They are designed for salt water. I installed on many years ago and I plumbed it to a galley faucet and to my anchor locker. It does double-duty. My original pump was a ShurFlo Blaster which lasted about 17 years, but I always wished for a more powerful pump. It was only 3.5 gpm at 45psi. It seized last year and since I wanted a more powerful pump for the anchor wash-down usage, I bought a Johnson Aqua Jet 10-13407-07 on Amazon for $132. It has a 5.2 gpm flow at 55psi IIRC.

The pump for your A/C is a medium flow but relatively low pressure pump and it also does not have a pressure switch. I think it would be a poor choice for your application.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
No reason why you couldn't use a washdown pump for both washing down the anchor and running raw water into the sink. Plumb the hose from the pump with a Y-connector for distribution. If either supply is opened the pump will run on demand.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
No reason why you couldn't use a washdown pump for both washing down the anchor and running raw water into the sink. Plumb the hose from the pump with a Y-connector for distribution. If either supply is opened the pump will run on demand.
I’m not sure this is a good idea.
A wash down pump is ideally a high capacity (5gpm), whereas a galley pump wouid be a lot less.
I’m wondering if you’ve considered the manual foot pumps? They will deliver lots of water for plate rinse down, and a lot less complicated.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I’m not sure this is a good idea.
A wash down pump is ideally a high capacity (5gpm), whereas a galley pump wouid be a lot less.
I’m wondering if you’ve considered the manual foot pumps? They will deliver lots of water for plate rinse down, and a lot less complicated.
Art,

I have used the wash-down pump at my galley faucet for 20 years. Works just fine. No over pressure.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Why not go with a de-sal/ RO system ? Designed to work with salt...obviously.. And you'll have potable water too...
Check the cost, you might be surprised...