Sailboat ideas

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Water Ballast? Telescoping masts?
What will they think of next, a 24 hour weather channel?
Look out Jim Cantore, the flames should start any minute!
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I have mixed thoughts about that thread and the course it took. On the one hand I'm all for discussion about what kind of new developments can or should happen to make sailing better. If the thread had been proposed as "I have this idea, and I think I can make it work, tell me why it excites you, or why not", I think it would be great. On the other hand, what we got was "I built this great thing that even highly funded R&D departments couldn't. It's going to be a big success, but I can't tell you any details about it other than this low res (photoshopped looking) picture." If nothing else it's very frustrating as a reader to be presented with what might be a worthwhile idea and then told that no further details could be shared. Maybe we, as a community, took out that frustration in some unconstructive ways and could've done better? Maybe the OP could've prevented that frustration by not making claims he wasn't prepared to back up? I don't know the answers, and I kind of wish the thread hadn't been closed. I didn't think it became that uncivil, and I would've been interested to see if some more worthwhile discussion of new technology could've come about.
:plus:

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Dave, the closest, most loving families are the ones you can trust to call you on your... um, stuff... We called him from start to finish. We gave days to come clean. He was NOT proposing an idea. He was claiming something that deserved disbelief and ridicule with the material he founded it upon. The FIRST response, second response, and fourth response all noted the holes in his thread.
I imagine you feel something for him for having been in a situation where you presented ideas, but did you propose that you had patents pending, a tested prototype which is now unavailable, a family of secondary products, and expect people to take you seriously while presenting zero evidence other than an obviously photoshopped photo?
I respect you too much to think you would ever have settled for presenting this kind of material.
What was he inviting: discussion, brainstorming, or anything other than... what? Critique? Review?
Then, when we find out he has been peddling the same idea for 7 years, but changed it from a special mast he had installed (implying he did not make it) to something he claims to have invented, the whole presentation just becomes too much to swallow. At what point is his treatment of the community to be considered? When is he expected to come clean or do better?
We invited him, and I still invite him to bring his material back, present coherent facts, pictures that are not fakes, and ask for critique. I would love to find an alternative to stepping my mast, as I trailer my 28 ft boat!

I ask for critique and ideas here often. I am presented with respectful, expert critique of my thoughts and ideas. I allow them to change my direction and thinking. I do not take it personally when the ideas presented do not congratulate my idea and support me. I LEARN from them. Earlier this week, I presented an idea and request for critique for a simple line control for lines-led-aft, and I was basically told I was over-complicating it! I had to admit that I tend to over-engineer things and get rigid in my thinking, solving problems that do not exist. SESMITH said it, just run the lines aft right off the mast! I had to admit to myself he was right. I had to LEARN from their honesty. I had to see my own weaknesses. That is it. Right there. The purpose of the community and family.

If you want to come to the aid of this person, help him understand WHY people did not believe him... although plenty of people did that.

I think that “please do not comment” is not a legitimate position. It is a one-way boundary which will not be respected in a public forum, as though only your thoughts count.
Thank you for opening a thread through which all of these thoughts could be explored.

Real civility begins with honesty... Honesty begins with introspection.
We spend too much time blaming our feelings and problems on others. We need to consider the Four Noble Truths.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Civility? The telescoping mast post is BS. The photo is fake. Stargazer is lying. I looked at his post from 7 years ago with the same photo.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Civility. After the first couple of posts, the story started to lose credibility. Don't think anyone was still on the hook by the end of page 1.

Still, no reason to tune the guy up - especially when you don't know what his situation is. I can see getting sideways with him if he cons you out of your kid's college fund, but that post was a victimless crime at best. We've gotten almost as bad in the followup thread as the original, and he hasn't posted in it at all.

Be thankful that your life is good and you don't feel the need to embellish reality. Not everyone is that lucky.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I hope he’s successful in the end. I’d give my port tack to have a telescoping mast. My problem with his post and replies is that he gave us only a little information and then said he can’t tell us more. I got into it big time with our associate pastor during a deacons meeting one night. She told us just a little about something that was coming up and when I asked for details she said she couldn’t tell the deacons - only the elders. I told her, in front of the pastor and the rest of the deacons, I didn’t appreciate her wasting our time by making us want to know more and then saying we weren’t qualified. I put these two instances in the same category. But seriously, I hope he’s successful. I’ll be 3rd in line.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I’ll cheer you folk on but I am not an early adopter. I prefer the old style. I want to have faith in the functionality of my equipment or at the least knowledge of the weaknesses and strengths.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Some of those 'deleted' posts keep popping up like a shadow until I finally substitute and actually post something different.
After deleting your text, pick the disk save icon and choose "delete draft". SBO seems to save the text editing window often, but only if there is something in it. Not that I ever typed anything jerky... ever.;)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 3, 2012
Kermie. I saw an ad for one this week, and I thought the same thing! Lift it at the COG with a block.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit had to remind me of that as I use to sell them. Ask Kermit if he was able to tack easily with that small cat which does not meow. Ha.

Aug 3, 2012
Seriously though, The AquaCat uses what I call an A-crane. I have seen a video of it used on a slightly larger boat, and I think it has good qualities. Lifting near the COG and having no point in which the mast is pinned til it is in place is a good start. With the balance right, the mast will gently stand itself into the step plate. Add a couple of guiding lines, and I think you could lift a big mast, maybe even on the water.