Success Telescopic Mast now being tested now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
wish there was a close up as it is difficult to tell what style that boat mast was as it was not starndard with that boat thinking it is a Catalina or Precision. When I was a dealer, telescoping masts were considered. With any prebend, the inner sleve would not be able to come out. It was hard to figure out a mechanism reasonable in price could be found along with mixing metals along with other things.. The project was discarded due to cost and a way to raise the mast telescoping.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You say it does not have to be stepped. Have you trailered it like that? What is the height of a 30 ft mast after it is retracted?
What keeps the retracted mast standing? What do you do with a 30’ roller furling foil?
Wait... is it April 1st?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
With multiple telescoping mast sections, how do you keep a smooth/straight track for the sail to feed in? :poke:.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Legally without permit you have a total height of 13’ 6”. There are many places that are not close to that. Without knowing what the height of that portion of the mast is in the up position with boat on trailer, do you know that?

Then there are the longer masts on the larger trailerable that will be above that height legally on the road. Either way, you will still have to lower the remaining portion of the mast.

Then there is tuning necessary to detune and retune and on a hot day most folks are in a hurry to be on the road. Also with pretend masts after years of usage do not return to straight extrusions which may present a problem. Then the maintenance to include lubrication if used and not checked. Finally the cost may be prohibitive. A good example putting a new system on an existing sailboat which many may not consider.

You are correct not to disclose anything for now trying to get a patent. Keep us in the loop as to how it will work once you have a patent but many mast manufacturers thought about doing that but said it is not worth it. The vogue of sailing is not as strong as it use to be and with the old Hunter, Precision, MacGregor, etc. out of the business to include the volume of trailerables at the Annapolis Sailboat Show was way down last year, you might want to think about?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One other thing. If planning to have the mast tele scope within a large tube inside the boat means cutting an existing deck for install with a boot to keep rain out. Also what about the space belowdecks if the install is going that direction taking space away in the cabin? These are questions that many will be asked of you. All manufacturers got away from thru deck masts many years ago.

Aug 3, 2012
So... do all the mast sections stay above the deck, or does it retract into the cabin? Hey! You should make a telescoping hull, so I can rent a slip for 1/2 price!

Aug 3, 2012
I think this is a boat that women would love to sail! They can adjust the length of the “mast” and hardness of the rig to suit themselves! Men on a boat like this would be obsolete! Of course, someone would wear it out... up, down... up, down... up, down... “Becky! Quit playin’ with the button and come to bed!”
I mean, it would be wireless remote, right?
:laugh:

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Questions have been addressed and I will wait to see what comes from this as a patent has been applied for. So guys, stop the funny comments and give this fellow sailor a chance. If it can be done for a reasonable cost and works, the trailer sailors will benefit.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
2. Years ago man use to tune a guitar by hearing the sound it makes. Today its more electrically tuned. With the new Tele-Tuner option, it's easy to check.
WRONG, years ago, they didn't bother tuning the guitars as most of those guys were already def and the audience was too drunk to notice LOL.
I do have a few legit questions though. My first thought was how much weight does it add aloft? The heavier the mast, the more ballast required. The second thought is, Is the raising mechanism out of commonly available boat parts and easily accessed from the outside? Even the best designed systems can be broken by the most ingenious fools. A boat on the water needs to be very repairable with tools commonly carried on a boat. Otherwise one could be a in world of hurt out on the water with a mast that won't go up or down.
I'd say a real test would be to train someone else how to use it, and then have them sail with it for a month. Engineers test things in a lab, but can't think of how something could commonly be used in the real world. You as the engineer will think in terms inline with the way it is designed. The person who did not design it, will not think like you do, and will easily do what you would deem careless or ignorant, when in reality, they just approach things differently than you do.
After owning a very special RV for 16 years, I sold it. It was highly modified, and extremely high performance. I felt bad for the new owner, as he had more break downs in the first year than I had in the 16 years that I owned it. The new owner was smart and careful, but just thought differently than I did. Because he did not modify it, he did not think in terms of how those mods were implemented, and just had many unforeseen failures. That is just the reality of how our minds are different. You can test something 1000 times, but your testing will be inline with how you designed it. Let someone else try to break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.