New reefing lines for H34

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I'm installing new reefing lines on my H34, any suggestions on diameter and type?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
either 3/8 or 5/16 inch good low stretch line .. Sampson and New England Ropes are both excellent .. unless you are a dedicated racer, ya don't need the very high tech stuff for reef lines.. There are some other manufacturers, but those two have been in the double braid low-stretch business for a long time.. Ya might call Phil here on the site store and see if he'll cut you a deal on those lines and whatever else ya need like traveler lines and mainsheet and genoa/jib lines..

Jan 22, 2008
I've measured my existing lines to be about 30' and 40' but the H34 Rigging Spec sheet shows 45' and 60' What am I missing? I really don't want to buy extra line and then have it hanging from the boom. My reefing lines go through the boom to the end and then up to the reefing points and then back down. I can't see where the extra 15 and 20' feet would go. But don't want to buy pieces that are too short either.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I don't know how long mine are but the measure would be from the cleat, under the seahood, to the organizer, then to the mast base block, base block to boom forward end, boom total length, then twice the height to the reef tack and some allowance for the knot on the boom.. with boom being 12 feet, and assuming (!) the first reef is about 6 feet above the boom, its about 25 feet to the forward end of the boom(?, 1 foot for boom wrap and knot).. then 3 feet down and 6 feet back to the cleat.. (approximations, assuming your reef lines are led back to cockpit).. it seems more like 34-35 feet .. ?

Jan 22, 2008
(approximations, assuming your reef lines are led back to cockpit).
We purchased our boat in 1987 and the reefing lines were never led back to the cockpit. I guess it would be nice, but since you have to send someone (else!) up onto the deck in the heavy wind to link the main to the hold-down and tie off the other reefing lines, I'm not sure if it would be worth adding additional deck organizers, etc. to now route the lines to the cockpit.

But now I know why the lengths are so different! Thanks for the explanation.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mike. While I know you want to buy the correct length one time, better a bit long then too short. Niece you have them on the boat AND. You have used them a few times, you can cut off what appears to be extra and use it for lashing things to the boat, or to hold the tiller in place, or as an extra pretty dock line. There are many ways to use an extra bit of line. Maybe even take up macrame.

Remember you will be using the lines when the wind is blowing stink. A too short line can get whipped out of your hands and go flying out and away from the boat before you can say “What happened?” The extra length may just be a life saver. That is why I suggest you use the reef lines a few times before you cut them short.