Loose Throttle

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I replaced the transmission shifter cable on my Yanmar 3gm3f on my Hunter 340. Now the throttle is loose and will not hold a steady rpm while motoring. Unless I hold the throttle at the RPM I want, it goes back to idle. I'm sure the stiff shifter cable kept it steady before. So, is there an easy fix? What do I adjust, change, tighten, or whatever to get the throttle to hold a steady RPM above idle while motoring?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I had to put a new throttle cable on my Hunter 31 , had the same issue. The installer (long story) had to return and put on a cable tensioner.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My O’Day 322 would slowly back down on the throttle. I put a bungee cord on it for a while, but the. Removed the compass and tightened the throttle friction bolt...works great now.

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Anyone know which is the throttle tension/friction adjustment bolt?
It is not easy to get this mess in and out of that hole.

7oldshifterandcables.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
From the picture it is not obvious. Perhaps it is at the other end of the throttle cable, near the engine control arm. Often just a clamp on the throttle cable that adds friction as you try to move the cable through the housing.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
From the picture it is not obvious. Perhaps it is at the other end of the throttle cable, near the engine control arm. Often just a clamp on the throttle cable that adds friction as you try to move the cable through the housing.
Here it is!

IMG_5423.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure looks like it. Appears the bolt is fully extended (maximum squeeze) in that configuration. Is that correct?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Sure looks like it. Appears the bolt is fully extended (maximum squeeze) in that configuration. Is that correct?
Yes, I might get a half a turn or so more out of it. If that doesn't work, I'll move it up or down the cable a little bit and reset it..