O’day 30. Electrical AC issues

Jun 1, 2019
Oday 30 Saugatuck
Hello O’day owners. This is my first post and will not be my last post for sure. I bought a 1980 O’day 30 last fall. Winter storage. Took it to the homeport last week. We ran on batteries the whole time as I am not taking on any shore power for some reason.

DC switches on under the companion way. DC interior and running lights appear to work. AC switch located in the lazerette? Is this typical? Appears to be installed by a previous owner, not O’day. Replaced the GFCI outlets as it kept tripping, green lights on in new outlet, but still no shore power. Tested a different shore power cord, still no go.

Am I missing a giant shore power switch somewhere? This has to be simple.

Thanks for reading.

Jim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
AC switch located in the lazerette? Is this typical? Appears to be installed by a previous owner, not O’day.
Newer Codes require a breaker to be located within a certain distance of the incoming shorepower plug. Older boats didn't have them, so thinking a PO did it makes sense.
But all older boats with AC did have a master AC breaker in a panel usually right next to the DC panel. Have you looked for a second AC master switch there? Usually if you have a water heater, there would be a switch for that on the AC panel.
Good luck.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I don't know what year this applies to but this is from an O'day 30 owner's manual.

upload_2019-6-2_11-18-29.png

So it sounds like you do have an aftermarket system.

If the green indicator light on the GFCI outlet is on it seems like there should be power to the outlet. Silly question but are you sure whatever you are plugging into the outlet works?