Mast step questions, '87 Cat 22

Jul 2, 2018
Catalina 22 Acton Lake, OH
I am beginning repairs on my 87's mast step because it was showing many cracks through what appears to be a bunch of gel coat slathered on the area by the PO. After sanding away the gel coat, I encountered some dark filler along the flanks of the step.

My question is, is that material original, or was that part of the crummy repair by the PO?

I cannot detect any flex or rot in the deck. When tapped with a hard wood mallet, it sounds the same everywhere. I cannot detect any give at all when I put my 200 lb weight on one foot anywhere on that area of the boat. After cleaning the hole where the deck socket for the mast wiring was, it walls of the hole seem quite sound. My plan is to grind out the cracks, coat the area first with low viscosity Maas epoxy, then layup a few layers of glass over the area, and finish with some gel coat. I will also pot all the holes and redrill them. See the photos below showing what it looked like before, then what I uncovered by sanding. What do y'all think?
20190502_110935.jpg
20190502_153008.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This question gets asked fairly regularly. It seems to be a "thing" in new design C22's, although I can't recall seeing any pics/threads where it resulted in core rot. My boat has it too, not quite as bad as yours, but in the same area. Perhaps I will address it someday, but for now she lives under a steel carport roughly 330 days a year, so it can wait a while.

Jul 2, 2018
Catalina 22 Acton Lake, OH
So after removing the previous owner's "repair", I opened all the cracks with a Dremel, then I drilled out and filled all holes in the area with thickened epoxy. Next I epoxied a layer of fiberglass mat over the cracked area to diffuse any stress and prevent further cracking. That in turn was covered with two layers of glass cloth each successively larger to create a taper to the patch towards the edges. Next I'll paint with some topside paint with soft sand mixed in to make it non-slip.
20190523_163202.jpg