Fresh water anode question (hot water tanks)

CADude

May 28, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 38 San Francisco
Does shocking the fresh water system with Sodium Hypochlorite (Bleach) destroy the magnesium anode(s) found in most marine hot water tanks...given that the very same anode metal is not supposed to be used in salt water? Wisdom & advice appreciated.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I've never heard of it causing a problem as long you make sure that ALL the bleach has been flushed out of the water heater before turning it on again. It never did in my own Raritan water heater.
--Peggie

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The reason for the anode is to extend the life of the tank by “sacrificing” itself before the tank liner. Magnesium is used because it’s characteristics in fresh water work better than other anode materials such as aluminum. Aluminum has better characteristics for use in salt or brackish water and is commonly used for salt water hulls.

I assume you want to “sanitize” your fresh water system. Perhaps more important on cold supply as people don’t usually consume water from hot side. You could add a ball valve “inlet” close to the place you take on water and use it to add the disinfectant” if you are doing this frequently.

Normal process would be to drain off some water, remove anode (good time to inspect) add whatever disinfectant that you deem necessary, run water at all taps until you smell disinfectant, let everything sit for at least a few hours, and then flush the system with fresh water.