Spinnaker Pole length - exactly

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What's the penalty for having a longer pole. Might be worth it to not cut the pole and take the penalty.
Disqualification. So what's the point.
Depends, if it is measured maybe 6 sec/mile, could vary from region to region.

However, if you measure in with a regulation pole and then swap it out for a longer pole and don't tell the club measurer, then probably a DSQ.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Exactly, in fact, I don't know how anybody would ever even handle a spinnaker pole or a whisker pole without topping lift attached without worrying about losing an expensive pole overboard!
Boy, that’s the truth. Every time my foredeck guy Rigs up the whisker pole he hangs it over the side and all I see is dollar signs.

Jun 4, 2004
- -First 310 -
Disqualification. So what's the point.
I would hope no one thought I was suggesting to do anything but have the longer pole measured in and take the seconds per mile penalty.

It's just a sailboat race after all. Enjoying being on the water with your friends.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Wow! Now, this is what I call Sailing Under Control... LOL!!!! Can't wait till I use my pole..

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Please define difference between jib pole and whisker pole,thanks.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Please define difference between jib pole and whisker pole,thanks.
A whisker pole is used to hold the clew of the jib out to one side of the boat when running down wind. It prevents the sail from collapsing and accidentally gybing. It is adjustable to account for different sized sails or when the jib is partially furled. Combined with a good boom preventer it makes for a stable down wind run.

The term "jib pole" is not in common usage, at least anywhere I've been sailing. Presumably it is an synonym
for whisker pole.