Spinnaker Pole length - exactly

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I recently got a back alley deal on a used spinnaker pole from a guy who's name I did not catch. It is the right diameter but it's too long so I need to cut it. I have new ends for it. I know the length is supposed be equal to the J-dimension but how does one measure that exactly? Center of mast to inside of jaw? Mast ring to inside of jaw? Total pole length? The difference could be several inches depending on how it is measured.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That's funny, I'm sure you had no problem finding your J dimension! But neither references actually answered your question!

I don't actually know the answer, but I understand what you are asking! I'd guess that the pole dimension is measured from jaws to jaws. I'm going to measure mine to find out. I have a pole that has 4 settings and I know the dimensions from the manufacturer. What I haven't ever done is actually measure the pole to find out where the dimensions are referenced on the pole for each setting!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The pole measurement is SPL and is measured from end to end, outside of the jaws.

There is a reference in the PHRF-LO. org handicappers manual. (Sorry, can't get a link for it.)

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Thanks, Scott. I suppose I could have done a better job 'splainin' it. Yes. I know the J. It's 13.75 ft or 165". I do not know where on the pole to measure from/to.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Our poles were always 'dippable'. In other words, whe jibing the chute, all you had to do was dip the pole inside the headstay. Right or wrong, it worked out pretty well.

Jan 11, 2014
Our poles were always 'dippable'. In other words, whe jibing the chute, all you had to do was dip the pole inside the headstay. Right or wrong, it worked out pretty well.
@capta brings up a question. If you use a dip pole jibe instead of an end for end jibe the mast fitting will be different as it will have a pin not a jaw. I assume that measuring the pole length will then mean measuring from the end of the pin to the outside of the fitting on the spinnaker end.

Once boats start going past 30 feet, a dip pole is the way to go as the pole topping lift supports the pole weight. On smaller boats or with a carbon fiber pole an end for end jibe is still reasonable.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@capta brings up a question. If you use a dip pole jibe instead of an end for end jibe the mast fitting will be different as it will have a pin not a jaw. I assume that measuring the pole length will then mean measuring from the end of the pin to the outside of the fitting on the spinnaker end.

Once boats start going past 30 feet, a dip pole is the way to go as the pole topping lift supports the pole weight. On smaller boats or with a carbon fiber pole an end for end jibe is still reasonable.
35 feet is the modern crossover for the dipping. Maybe a little longer if you’re a fractional boat that has a shorter J. remember Dip poling requires at least one extra crew member.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks, Scott. I suppose I could have done a better job 'splainin' it. Yes. I know the J. It's 13.75 ft or 165". I do not know where on the pole to measure from/to.
Install the mast ring, install the mast side pole end fitting., clip on the pole.... use a vertical extension at the stem head.... lash the pole to the forestay so the vertical guide provides reference. Tape the new fitting to pole end so the entire assembly matches the desired dimension.... mark you cut on the pole.
Or......... read the instructions that will come with the pole kit.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
What I did on my Jib to put a pole on that allowed .me to jibe easily requiring only one person to switch from port to starboard. I installed an adjustable (Up & Down) eye on the mast. Then on a calm day 10 knots while out sailing I measured from the eye on the mast to the eye on the Jib where the jib was set running good). Then took the measurements from the bottom of the sail JIB attached to the forestay or deck. this was the hight of my EYE for the pole's lowest point. MY pole turned out to be not (J =13.75 feet) but 12.25 feet and easily swings from one side to the other under control. I also keep the pole balanced with a mid-pole bungee cord not allowing it to hit the deck while swinging port to starboard. I hope this helps you. Some times you just have to test it out by making and testing to your liking.
Regards Capt. Rob
wiskerpole.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
What I did on my Jib to put a pole on that allowed .me to jibe easily requiring only one person to switch from port to starboard. I installed an adjustable (Up & Down) eye on the mast. Then on a calm day 10 knots while out sailing I measured from the eye on the mast to the eye on the Jib where the jib was set running good). Then took the measurements from the bottom of the sail JIB attached to the forestay or deck. this was the hight of my EYE for the pole's lowest point. MY pole turned out to be not (J =13.75 feet) but 12.25 feet and easily swings from one side to the other under control. I also keep the pole balanced with a mid-pole bungee cord not allowing it to hit the deck while swinging port to starboard. I hope this helps you. Some times you just have to test it out by making and testing to your liking.
Regards Capt. Rob
View attachment 164850

Clever! But this only works because your pole is 1.5 feet short. A full size pole never clears the forestay when the butt is anywhere near sailing position.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Regards Capt. Rob
View attachment 164850
For short handed cruising, this is a fine solution. However, if sailing competitively, then the boat will be faster if the pole is longer. The longer pole allows the spinnaker luff to project further from the boat which increases effective sail area and keeps it away from any disturbance caused by the mainsail. Some classes, like the J30, call for a pole length longer than the J dimension and they receive a penalty under PHRF for having a longer pole.

If using the pole as a whisker pole, then it will need to be longer to get the full projection of the Genoa, the length should be closer to the length of the foot of the headsail. Most whisker poles are adjustable and longer than a spin pole.

Back to @StargazerP303's method, it is more effective than dealing with a constantly collapsing Genoa when going down wind and for short handed sailing it makes sense although it will be a little slower than a proper sized whisker pole.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
I am inclined towards the dip pole jibe just because the pole is quite heavy and my foredeck is a slippery, trippery place. I have the mast track and all the equipment to do that. I have done both and dip pole seems easier and smoother.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Clever! But this only works because your poll is 1.5 feet short. A full size pole never clears the forestay when the butt is anywhere near sailing position.
Good Point there! However, I didn't really notice that much of a difference being 1.5 feet shorter. The pro's and con's made me make it shorter. Usually, it's my wife and me cruising and not racing so the PRO's was being able to sail without going out on the deck and having to deal with with the pole all the time. For me, this was a key issue as well as "Single Handed" sailing.
I did try having the mast eye traveler that would bring the pole up the mast allowing the pole to fall short just inches from the deck then threw but it kept hitting the deck. So I threw in the towel and made it simple...lol This was the KISS approach for me! Capt. Rob :banghead:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I am inclined towards the dip pole jibe just because the pole is quite heavy and my foredeck is a slippery, trippery place. I have the mast track and all the equipment to do that. I have done both and dip pole seems easier and smoother.
Both end for end and dip pole jibes have the pole supported by the topping lift... so the weight of the pole should be less a factor than simply the handling of the spar. With a dip pole you need crew in the bow pulpit to change to the windward guy when the pole comes across.... you also need a mast man to raise the mast end of the pole up to allow the outboard end to "dip" below the forestay. In this case the pole is kept attached to the mast throughout the exercise, the topping lift can be fixed to the pole anywhere as can the foreguy... usually near the outboard end.... With the end for end, a bridle is rigged on the upper and lower sides of the pole..... to which the topping lift and fore guy are attached in the center axis of the pole... this allows the pole to spin freely and stay relatively level, while being supported completely by the topping lift... the height of the pole at the mast requires no adjustment as it does with a dip pole system
The advantage of the end for end is that a single foredeck crewman can execute the jibe simply standing near the mast... when the command is given the crew "trips" the outer jaw (there is a trip line for each end that makes that convenient). He then disengages the mast end jaw and slips in the new guy, pushes the pole out and clips in the old end to the mast....
The disadvantage of the end for end is that the larger the pole the more cumbersome it can be to actually spin it on the foredeck.... with the dip pole you have the extra crew at the bow, the mast man, and the trimmers handling the fore guy to get the pole around the deck into position,

I've noticed a few comments in this thread that talk about genoas and whisker poles...... a completely different animal,., However, on my boat, I still support the whisker pole with a topping lift and control its angle with a fore guy..... even though the pole is attached to the sail's clew and there is less torsion on it... being able to precisely set the pole is a huge advantage.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Both end for end and dip pole jibes have the pole supported by the topping lift... so the weight of the pole should be less a factor than simply the handling of the spar.
Exactly, in fact, I don't know how anybody would ever even handle a spinnaker pole or a whisker pole without topping lift attached without worrying about losing an expensive pole overboard!